"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, September 09, 2016

Drinks & Charcuterie board @ Holsem Coffee + BSW and windowshopping @ Local Made, pigment & Verbatim Books

Our last stop of D's birthday food crawl was here in North Park...

We went to BSW (Beauty Supply Warehouse) so I could get a styrofoam head and wig cap for my Halloween costume. That place is chock full of everything you can imagine for makeup, nail polish, hair products, you name it.

There is a mock "new" neon sign above Holsem. It wasn't there until recently. It pays homage to the former tenant of this space, a cobbler/shoe repair shop.
Update as of 9/1/2/16 - Here is a great article I found about the return of this vintage neon sign. It was actually resurrected and is now back. The design is of a shoe hammering elf. Every time he hammers the shoe, he "winks". It was originally designed  in 1949 for Wink's Shoe Repair in downtown San Diego. The last tenants of this particular building were Chito's Shoe Repair, which relocated to Lincoln Ave close by.  I've got to see this sign at night!
Article:
"The neon elf returns!" SD Uptown News, Sept. 9, 2016

Is it wierd that I notice or care about stuff like this? Inquiring minds want to know (and my persistence and curiosity paid off)...

Here's a view of the BSW from the parking structure. Out of the camera POV was the North Park Farmer's Market which was packing up for the day.





Our last stop was for coffee but also for something savory. We hadn't eaten since the early morning and a few of us were craving actual food but not a whole meal.

Hence, we ordered the Charcuterie board along with our drinks.

New decor along the back wall.




D and KD had the house coffee while I had the iced banana nut bread coffee, one of my favorites.

The Charcuterie board - whole grain mustard, prosciutto plus two other types of sausage,  cornichons, Marcona almonds seasoned with rosemary and salt, bread slices and bread sticks.



Everything on this plate was pretty good, especially the almonds and the salami.  We just wished there were more bread.

We did some browsing at several stores including Local Made, which had this really cute succulent arrangement...as well as these funny key hangers.  My favorite is the one with Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta's characters from "Pulp Fiction".


At the overly twee Pigment, I was amused by this bag (it's totally me, ha ha).

A few steps away from the overpriced Pigment was Verbatim Books. The nice guy that is usually there was not there; instead, it was another employee who didn't even greet us, which was pretty crappy.  First rule of customer service totally ignored.




Posters on Verbatim's windows.


Nothing bought from Verbatim during this visit. My friends had a good time with all of the choices that day.

Beauty Supply Warehouse
2901 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(619)491-0500

www.bswsuperstores.com + the mixed bag o'reviews from you know where

Previous visit to Holsem Coffee:
January 2016; This other post had my previous revisits where I go through every drink on their menu (I was a bit obsessed last year when they opened): June 2015 (it also links my initial visit in May)

Here is a great article about Neon Signs in North Park (which includes the original winking elf now at Holsem's):
"North Park's Neon" SoHoSanDiego, Dec. 2008

Previous visit to Verbatim Books:
April 2016

I also like Kirbie's detailed compilation about visits from  October 2015 (where she explores both the coffee and food menu)

D's birthday food crawl in review:
To the Point Eatery + Tokyo Main & Central revisit
Bing Haus
Square Bar Cafe
 plus this last post.

D's birthday outing from last year:
"Return to Chi Extraordinary Kitchen - D's Birthday Lunch with the Educator GF's", followed by "Coffee 'n ice cream @ Holsem and Hammonds", "Dumpling Hut" and topped off at "Cafe Hielo"

Every year, it's always a lot of fun going out with my gf's, even more so for D since it's a welcome break from the toils of the work week.  The next birthday to celebrate will be TORC (who sadly, was MIA today due to illness), which gives me about a month to plan where we will go!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've yet to try any type of banana coffee. I wonder why that's not the rage when pumpkin is right? That charcuterie board is pretty - was it expensive? I also like the purse with the hello kitty and characters!

caninecologne said...

They use real flavors here, such as banana milk in this particular drink. There is no artificial syrup they use for any drink at Holsem. Ugh, I hate pumpkin stuff. It's going to be everywhere soon, unfortunately. The charcuterie board was $16; I just wished they had more bread in there. As for my purse, it's a diaper bag, believe it or not. It's the Tokidoki collabe with Jujube (they make high end diaper bags in different styles). This style is Hobobo and the print pattern is called "Dream World".