"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Carnival Market - Food Court

Carnival Market's previous tennant in this strip mall off 3rd and L used to be Haggens.

We all know how "successful" that was (sad face). Prior to being Haggens. it was Vons. It wasn't one of the bigger ones, but at least it was there.

Last month we noticed the "coming soon" signs and now it was open...

We also had coupons from the paper that we wanted to use.



There is another Carnival Market in National City, just down the street from Valerio's City Bakery (the original location) and Ching's Hopia. I'd never been in any Carnival Markets before (the other location is in Clairemont) so this would be an adventure.

Since this was the newest location, it was still "shiny", "bright" and of course, "new". There was also a food court, which Cathy told me the other locations don't have.  As you walk in, to the far left, this is what you'll see, the bakery, a take out area (rotisserie chicken), fresh tortilla and the food court.

One side sold drinks (aguas frescas, as well as coffee and smoothies although I don't think the quality of the last two would be any good and definitely not the smoothies as you'll soon find out). This part here had Mediterranean food and we utilized the buy 1 get 1 free kebab combo here ($8.99).

Meat kababs on display (ground chicken and beef) plus a whole bunch already on knife-like skewers, ready to be grilled.


Next door were the aguast fresca. The were also selling Mexican food, tacos (see the meat spit in the back?) as well as take out sushi (I advise you NOT to get that).



The food court had a seating area, and each table had fresh flowers in tiny vases. This was a nice touch.

TC used the Buy 1 Get 1 Free smoothie coupon. One of them had mango/papaya while the other had strawerry/banana.  It took a long time to get this and they didn't appear to be busy, but oh well. BOTH smoothies were overly icy and DEVOID of any flavor. We were all thinking, "Did they even put fruit in this?". The fruit flavor was very very very minimal and sadly, these were not even worth the $4 saved with the coupon. We could have made better smoothies than this.  So, we learned from that.

Also, TC wasn't feeling it for the kebab combo, so she asked if she could have sushi. I didn't know they had it and figured it would be okay. Well, this was the Dragon Roll ($8.99/overpriced for what it was) she picked out.  Probably not the best choice to get sushi from a Mexican market, but she's a teenager and doesn't know that.  Anyhow, she noticed that when she tried to pick up a "piece" of sushi that it was NOT PRECUT. WTH man.  Reall?Y  There also were no knives in the cutlery area, just chopsticks. We gave her a plastic fork which she used to crudely slice the roll.  Her verdict, it was NOT good. Okay, it sucked.

The saving grace of today's coupon fun was the Mediterranean kabob plate.  Now THESE were good. No suckiness here.  Both were beef kabobs. One plate had saffron rice and Persian cucumber salad and hummus. The other had biryani rice with tabbouleh salad and hummus. Both were very delicious. The biryani rice was fragrant and had bits of cooked chicken and cubed potatoes which we liked.

The kabobs were juicy and well seasoned.



So glad there is a Mediterranean option in Chula Vista (the other side for us).

Near the Panaderia section were displays were boxed and packaged desserts. I recognized two of the labels, one of which was King of Nablus Sweets; they are based in El Cajon and they have excellent baklava. There were several sized boxes of baklava assortments here.

The other company was Pistachios, also in El Cajon (my link is for their now closed location). According to MFH, they've relocated but under a new name Memo's Bagel Cafe; I haven't been to the new location yet. Below are various packaged baklava, cookies with seeds and nuts.

Panaderia offerings:

At the Carniceria (meat counter) were huge jars of pickled pig skin:

Plus cuts of meat you won't find at Ralph's or Vons:

Marinela sweet snack products:

Nopalitos and cactus pads:

"Tuna" (both red and white versions of the cactus fruit):

Near the checkout aisle, you know you're in a Mexican market when you see chips with these flavors:

What we bought - Baklava from Pistachios in El Cajon ($7.99); some pieces missing because we tried a few along with my parents.I like the folded over "taco" shaped bakalava as well as the large squares. The layers of phyllo were so buttery and drenched with honey. My mouth is watering just thinking of these desserts. I'm so happy I can have them here instead of having to drive all the way out to El Cajon.

Lemon almonds bought by TC in the bulk bin area. One of her good friends really likes this snack so when TC saw it, she was excited to try some herself.

Freshly squeezed Valencia orange juice and toffee peanuts (Bert's choice):

The market had some really great deals on organic produce (2 bunches of kale or other greens for $1 is one) and had vegetables to please Mexican, American and even Asian shoppers (I noticed opo squash, ginger, and Chinese long beans).

Carnival Market
870 3rd Ave
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(619) 869-4455

carnivalmarket.com/cv + the sparse reviews from you know where

We didn't get too much stuff while here. This was more of a "look see".  It's only fifteen minutes away from our house and now I know where to go to get quality baklava!  It may end up being my "go to" dessert for parties or hostess gifts.

4 comments:

MrM said...

Carnival is best known for its tortillaria which is really, REALLY good. I can only speak for the one in National City where I used to live, but the new one might keep to that tradition.

What I used to do is get the rotisserie chicken, carnitas, carne asada, or other prepared meat from the cook. Then I'd get some asadero cheese, some of their excellent guac and a couple of salsas and have my own personal burrito party.

The flour tortillas really are the best I've ever had. I still travel down from Hillcrest to get them from time to time.

Sushi and kababs seem strange choices for Carnival's food court. The one in NC is exclusively Mexican in flavor.

caninecologne said...

Hello MR! Thanks for visiting! It's been awhile. Well, now, I'll have to try those tortillas then! Thanks for the tip. That is a great (and cost saving) idea - getting tortillas, meat and the fixings. Much better than paying for each meal separately at a takeout joint. The sushi, at least the roll my daughter had, was awful. WTH man. The kebabs were pretty good and I was happy to see some semblance of Middle Eastern food down in CV. If I do go to the Carnival in NC, then it gives me an excuse to go to Valerio's Bakery down the street (cheese rolls!).

MrM said...

Yeah...its been quite a while. So busy!

Anyways,

I actually think the best Mexican Food in town can be gotten at Carnival and.Northgate grocery stores. It's the real stuff and it is MUCH cheaper...at least down in NC. I do miss my Valerio's. The Pan De Coco from Valerio's Family Bakery next to Titas were effing addictive!

I had to trade that for Bread and Cie. I need a raise now just to buy bread! :O I can get brioche though, which is hard to find in San Diego for some reason.

It was weird that Greek and Mediterranean places couldn't take hold in NC or Chula Vista. I suppose El Cajon overcompensates in that department.

caninecologne said...

For ease/convenience, yes, Carnival or Northgate, or even down south at Su Mercado - those markets are a quick fix for Mexican food cravings. The Valerio's in National City is the original one. Their patriarch passed away a year or so ago. All of the other Valerio's that are around are owned by peripheral family members but do not associate with each other.

There is a Greek place in CV (Zorba's/their buffet is all right); Daphne's doesn't count and neither does Luna Grill (ugh, chains). Plus Canada Steak Burger on Telegraph. Other than that, no other Greek place. Definitely no straight up Mediterranean down here. I'd rather go to El Cajon. There isn't an audience for Greek/Med down here. :(