"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, September 30, 2016

Dole Whip, Belmont Park

Today was the last Friday before our Fall Break ended. Bert took the day off to be with me, TC and a friend. We spent the morning over in Mission Beach, specifically Belmont Park...

The Dole Whip truck didn't open until noon so we made sure to come back later once we had lunch...

I had a coupon I'd been dying to use FOREVER.  We hardly ever go to Belmont Park because I dislike crowds with a vengeance. We came early enough to get prime parking and while TC and her friend were out on their own (they used a coupon for the 2 for 1 wristband for the rides, as well as other coupons for food), Bert and I did our thing.

It's right underneath Tiki Adventures, which includes an aerial obstacle course for children.

There are three different permutations of this pineapple concoction:

I'm posting out of order because I wanted to write this post first instead of our lunch post.

{{Gasp}}

But here is the coupon I gave the girls (they used it later); I used my online coupon on my smartphone (The Entertainment Value book practically pays for itself with all of these "double" offers").

I got the Swirl while Bert got the original Whip. Only $4 total for both. Thanks to my parsimonious ways.

This was taken when it was still nice looking.  A mere two minutes later, this got ugly.

Aaaaagh, the swirls were beginning to droop and drip!



Aaaaaand, there ya go.  We both bit off the tops so it wouldn't drip. Bert neatly scraped his Dole Whip into a smooth cone.  As we kept eating our desserts, we hit the air pocket inside. I didn't realize it was hollow. I was kind of glad because I was looking at my cup thinking, "How the $%#@ am I going to finish this?" which later was a dumb question, because of course, I did finish it.  Room must have opened up down there.

Both desserts were good but we probably would have enjoyed it more if it didn't melt so quickly. Eating this on a mesh table was also not a "neat" experience. We had to be careful not to let it drip through or else it would have gotten on our legs or feet.
Blurb/mention:
"Got Aloha? A taste of Hawaii in San Diego" RedTri.Com

Dole Whip (@ Belmont Park)
3146 Mission Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92109
(858) 228-9283

www.belmontpark.com/restaurants/dolewhip + reviews from you know where

I liked the bright flavors of the Dole Whip but having the vanilla swirl was also a good varation. It was like a pineapple creamsicle.  The float was $1 more but looked too big to tackle, plus I only wanted to spend $4. Remember, I likes to saves me some bucks. I just wish that I could get real Dole whip at a non-touristy place.

You can check out Kirbie's copy cat recipe here (I love that she serves it in a real pineapple shell; these were tiny ones and were so cute!).

Homestyle Hawaiian in also serves their own version, also for $4. This was the Chula Vista location.

(photo from my "Coupon hits & 1 Fail..." October 2014)

Of course, you can always go to Disneyland to get Dole Whip, but I'm not a big amusement park/Disney fan, so that's a big fat no for me. Belmont Park for the sanctioned Dole Whip or the imitation one at Homestyle Hawaiian (it's thick and not hollow inside, a plus) or make your own!    All will be refreshing, no matter what you choose.

No comments: