
which was in one of the parking lots from Heck on Convoy.
Both girls wanted to try Pokirrito and we made sure to get there a few minutes early...

The long line that we saw was for RakiRaki next door. We were the first ones in that morning for Pokirrito. This post is rather short because I did not order anything here. I had eaten breakfast earlier and wasn't feeling it for anything poke related for lunch. But, after having tried a taste of TC's sushi burrito later, wouldn't mind coming here again with Bert and TC to try one for myself.



It's like Chipotle or Subway where they make your sushi burrito (or bowl, if you so choose) in front of you. Their menu burrito choices list pre-determined fillings. You may remove ingredients but you cannot add to what you want. For the bowls, you can customize.

The drinks that the girls bought from Daiso and took into Pokirrito. I wasn't sure if they should do this, but no one seemed to mind (or notice) that they brought outside drinks in.

Both burritos were served with ridged potato chips and a side sauce of their choice.

TC got the Mauna Lani (it's not on their menu online so I couldn't figure out what was in it) - Salmon with egg, butter lettuce, cucumber, crunchy lotus chips to name a few. Her side sauce was sweet chili. The sauce in her burrito was the "golden ratio" sauce; she did not add any additional sauce to her burrito. She really liked how thin the rice was for the filling (if you watch the video linked at the end, you can see a glimpse of the rice flattening machine they use for this shop).

Her friend's Pokirrito classic - tuna with crab meat, egg, broccoli slaw, butter lettuce, lotus chips, masago, cilantro, tempura flakes and the golden ratio sauce.

Both looked pretty good and I was glad to see that this burrito was not mostly rice filled. This size of a burrito was quite filling for both of the girls, who only finished half. For a really hungry person, one would be more than filling.
Here's a video from when Pokirrito first opened in May:
No, it's not $10 and those fried crunchy things are lotus root, dammit! Ha ha.
Who else has been to Pokirrito:
Kirbie (who posted not once but twice) as well as jinxi.
Articles:
"Pokirrito - Poke bowls and sushi burritos have arrived" Eater SD, April 22, 2016
"Culinary trends collide" SD Reader, May 28, 2016
Plus Darlene's writeup on Zagat SD, "First Look - Pokirrito" April 26, 2016
For a look at what the store front used to look like, check out Kirk's post:
"Saturday stuffs - Rakiraki (Pokirrito???) taking over A Cafe Spot Cafe, Yu's Garden closes and other stuffs" Aug. 2015
Pokirrito
4646 Convoy St.
San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 573-9090
www.pokirritosd.com; fb page + reviews from you know where & tripadvisor
So far, I've physically been to two poke places but only ate at one. Poke still isn't my choice of a meal. It seems poke is the current darling of the food world, but I still prefer my fish to be cooked. I'm still willing to give this place a go but am not in a rush to do so.


2 comments:
i've tried pokirrito, san diego poke co, and most recently pacific poke co. somehow i just don't get excited to write about poke places though. in my mind poke bowls seem too similar for the most part. i guess pokirrito is a little different because of their sushi burritos. i liked the karaage one best! shouldn't i like one of the fish ones instead? hah.
Yeah, I've only been to 2 poke places and I'm not in a rush to go back. The sushi burrito still seems like overkill to me Lynn.
Post a Comment