"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Ninong's Pastries & Cafe

Earlier this year, one of my older nephews posted a photo of his pancake flight...

which was from this Filipino owned and run eatery in Granada Hills...

We all wanted to try that pancake flights and well, here we were...

I wanted to make sure we were there when it opened at 8 am. Yes, call me anal but I really despise waiting in lines plus I read online that it filled up quickly and sure enough, within fifteen minutes or so, the place was packed.  Our experience here was pretty positive other than the family with the two demon children (screeching and running around and not enough being shushed or scolded).

You walk in, wait in line (if there is one), place your order (they have a cool touch screen) and then you can get a table.


There seating inside is limited (there are tables outside which helps). The other half of the eater has a deep purple wall with  "I (Heart) Ube" on it!  His Royal Purple Badness Prince would have given his approval.



For those who do not know Tagalog, the word "Ninong", which means "Godfather" ("Ninang" for Godmother) is derived from the Spanish word, "Padrino" which means "godparent". Other than the name of this place and the I (Heart) Ube wall, another dead giveaway that it is Filipino owned is the presence of this statue.  Look familiar?

It's the Santo Nino (the Christ Child) and I was not surprised at all to see him on the wall.

Nice mix of condiments here.

The cool touch screen register. The lady who rang me up was one of the owners. It was like talking to one of my aunties (she was probably in her late 60's). She was telling me how they became "more popular" because of "social media" and I told her that was the reason why we were visiting, since I saw their pancakes flight photos on Instagram. She was so gracious and thanked us for visiting.

Our breakfast that we shared:

Filipino pancake flight - Pandan, Ube and Mango. Two of each. All were delicious but my favorite was the ube; TC's favorite was the mango. Bert liked it all.


Garlic fried rice with corned beef omelet.

Bistek with garlic rice and eggs.

This was comfort food for me and Bert When growing up, my mom used to fry rice with eggs and some sort of meat fir breakfast. None of this cereal shit. If she had a lot of time, she would make a ground beef omelet. I've never had one with corned beef (canned of course) so I knew we had to try this. If we ever had corned beef, it was served by itself, stewed with tomatoes, diced potatoes and green peas.  It was nice having it in omelet form.

Bert's Philippine coffee which he really enjoyed; saying it was roasted nicely and tasted so smooth and rich.

I could not leave without a few food souvenirs - Ube cookie butter (it's so good) and Ube Lengua de Gato cookies (cat's tongue).

I just wished that family with the unruly kids were outside. They did not seem to care that their kids were screaming inside the restaurant. These guys next to us (three buff dudes) were shaking their heads and trying their best to enjoy their breakfasts but we could tell they were peeved by it like we were.

Ninong's Pastries & Cafe
17705  Chatsworth Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA 91344
(818) 368-7276

www.ninongspastries.com + reviews from tripadvisor, foursquare  and that four lettered site

I loved that they had Filipino flavors for their pancake flight. You won't see that in Snooze, Great Maple or Breakfast Republic, ha ha.  I hope that this place continues with their success and maybe if we are in this area again (future road trip), we will try the rest of their menu.

No comments: