
For Labor Day, we went to visit Bert's mom out in Lakeside but first, a lunch stop...
out in El Cajon at Beef n Bun. It had been awhile since we were there. I love how their windows are always painted according to the seasons (paintings are by prolific artist, Dano).



Their menu is plain and simple which we like.


Yes, not very healthy this lunch was. Quarterpounder with Swiss cheese for Bert, a BLT for me. Plus, onion rings and potato cakes to share.

Sadly, the onion rings had a super thick batter and hardly any onion. Too doughy.

Nice, light and crisp, but I was hungry a few hours later.

The Potato cakes (which they call it 'hash browns' here) were so good! Browned and crisp with herb flecks. Last time I was here, the only had regular hash browns.

After visiting my mother in law, we stopped by Mary's in Santee on the way back home. But first, we went to GTM, next to Mary's. It was our first time in the store and it was a bit overwhelming because there were so many random products all over the place. There were a lot of health food products mixed in with household items. Much of it was overstock, as we learned from Cathy's Mister who happened to be shopping the day of our visit. One side of the store had clothes and shoes too. I ended up buying blue nail polish and garlic potato chips (Kettle Chips). Exciting I know.
This was Bert's first time at this Mary's...


Pink with white sprinkles on this side...

Chocolate frosting on the other.


As we walked in, I noticed the new seating island in the corner. According to Cathy, it was new after tax season. The white bordered rectangles on the wall on the right are now filled with photos. When they first opened, they were still empty.

Our half dozen - two cruellers (chocolate and cherry), one blueberry cake, one chocolate old fashioned and two sprinkles (one for TC and her friend).


The cruellers were inhaled at home. The blueberry cake donut was perfection.
Previous visit to Beef 'n Bun:
"Return to Beef n Bun Whistle Stop" when I met up with Cathy and her Mister last November.
Previous visit to Mary's Donuts:
"Out with the old (not quite) and in with the new! Mary's Donuts"
Fried food and donuts. Moderation is the key, right?


4 comments:
Beef 'n Bun's Tub 'o Fish is now $26, eek! Not that i've ever gotten it, just the idea of going in and ordering a tub. Of fish. Those potato cakes are the best side item with anything...I do like the zucchini more than the rings there. Fried goodness. GTM basically sells returns and samples from Costco and other places; they opened a new store in Otay Mesa- got an email this week. Mary's is the best place in the world.
Oh wow, I didn't even see that a Tub o' Fish was an option! What! Ha ha. The zucchini is way better than the onion rings. At least you know you're eating zucchini, with the onion rings, the onion presence is quite minimal. :(
Your Mister told us about the Otay Mesa location. I'll have to go there...it's near the DMV in San Ysidro. Only one yelp review and it was one star.
Oh gosh a hamburger and fried something sounds so good right now. That simple burger actually looks delicious for some reason. I heard they make excellent fried zucchini here? I dislike thick battered onion rings where you only taste batter.
Yes, their fried zucchini is really good - it's so inexpensive and the pieces are huge! The same portion sold at the fair would cost three times as much. Their onion rings were kind of a waste, hardly any onion and way too much batter Faye.
Post a Comment