"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The new 85C, National City

Another "late to the party" thing for me...

was the new'ish opening of 85C Bakery in National City.

It's diagonal across from Jollibee and next to a Mission Federal Credit Union...

The bakery has been open for about one month now. I got there in the early afternoon and there was no line which meant no wait.


It seems smaller than the other locations. If you've been to at least one 85C,  then you know what to expect. The pastry selection was okay but there were no hot dog breads at that time, so poo.

No lines!!!

Chocolate bread, jalapeno cheese bun (I love this), chocolate cookie crumb bread, chocolate chip milk loaf, and mocha bread (filled with mochi; this was for Bert).

The actual seating area is pretty small. I noticed that their "fresh bread"  routine already sounded, dare I say, jaded?  They weren't as loud or cheerful sounding like the workers at the Balboa location. It was also funny reading y*** reviews about people pouncing on the workers whenever a new tray of pastries would come out. I didn't really see any of that feverish pastry or bread snatching from the trays when I was there but maybe when 85C first opened, people were overly excited or something.

This didn't last 24 hours.  Shit, the jalapeno cheese danish didn't last two minutes.

This is probably one of my new favorites now.

And this one too...the cream cheese filling had chocolate chips inside. Loved this.


More please.

85C Bakery
1302 E. Plaza Blvd.
National City, CA 91950
(619) 350-6885

www.85cbakerycafe.com + reviews from that four lettered site

It's nice to know that we don't have to drive as far as Balboa for their pastries. It's even better knowing that the lines are not going to be super long. The girl who helped me was really friendly and nice.

My only gripe is the crappy entrance/exit for the parking lot - 85C is on one side and on the other, Seafood City, Big Lots and other smaller stores. Making a left to get out bites, so if I go again, I would have to NOT exit there and get out near Carl's Jr. on the other side of the strip mall. Just a tip, unless you like waiting forever to get out.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yay, you went when there were no lines! I usually go to "my" 85c in Mira Mesa after work and there aren't lines then, either. I like not waiting in line!

caninecologne said...

Plus, bathroom! Nice and clean and AC! I remember it was pretty $%#@ that day we met for lunch. It's great not having to deal with crowds, jostling to get pastries, ha ha.