"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Return to Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia (formerly known as the Pez Museum), Burlingame

Has it really been this long since we were last here?

Bert and I first visited this museum when it was still called the Pez Museum...

TC was still a toddler  back then. Our second visit was in 2009 and during that year, the musuem was sued by Pez for unlawful use of its name (there's more but it's detailed in my older post linked at the end)  which is when it was renamed, the Burlingame Museum of Pez Memorabilia. Run by owner Gary Doss, he is a human treasure trove of  pop culture knowledge as well as holding claim to having all of the Pez dispensers ever made on display in his museum.

Admission is $3 for adults (and kids over 10). It's not that big inside; the museum also showcases Classic Toys and well as Banned Toys. Gary himself provided the narrative for the highlights of all of the collections within. The front of the museum is the store where all kinds of Pez dispensers are sold. Through the door is the museum (Pez, Classic and Banned toys).

Another family was there with us as Gary was explaining the origins of the Pez candy dispensers.


This guy is really tall. He must be at least 6'5"!  When he took a family photo of us in 2009 next to the Giant snowman Pez dispenser, the POV was pretty high!.

Below in the case, some of the banned toys included Po, the red Teletubby. This toy talked and supposedly  said "faggot" and "Bite my butt" which of course, raised the ire of all the fools that bought this demonic toy, ha ha.  The vintage Cabbage Patch doll, "The Snacktime Kid"  was a special one that could be fed. It had battery operated mechanical jaws that had "real chewing action".  The size of the mouth was perfect for little kids' fingers and even hair. The jaws would keep moving and you get the picture. Killer doll! This was recalled in 1997.

The Atomic Energy Lab from the 50's was also banned. It had real URANIUM! Whoa, radioactive fun!

Another glass case held fan made Pez toys (not authorized).

Classic Toys here - Can you spot them? The view master? Mr. Potato Head AND his wife too!

In a corner is this...

Although it's not officially from Pez, I'm glad that the candy company didn't shut down this museum and its tribute to pop culture.

Gary and another employee (I'm not sure if it was his wife?) helped me find some Easter Pez I was missing from my collection. Months later, it turns out I misplaced those dispensers but because I photo document my collection every holiday, I was able to figure out which ones I thought I needed. They didn't have everything I was looking for, but I got most of them plus a few new color combos. Sorry to nerd out on you but yeah...I was on a mission.

Two of my new Pez, Kylo Ren and the new version of the Storm Trooper from "The Force Awakens".


Aaagh, it's Po! He's homophobic and masochistic!


and these....Pure EVIL!

So if you fed these dolls candies and wafers, or whatever, did it come out...somewhere?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Previous visit:
June 2009

Seriously, if you are a fan of pop culture, candy and toys, this is THE place to visit - $3 well spent I tell ya. Gary is a great host and guide and you are sure to find something of your interest here, unless you live in a cave, have never watched cartoons, TV/movies  or played with American toys.

Since we were in Burlingame, we thought we would explore a small bit of their downtown before we went back to Parkside to relax.  There was a coffee place that we wanted to check out...

No comments: