
I hadn't been back since Valentine's and it was time for a revisit...
this time with MFH. Just two drinks for us and then we'd be off for some toroid delights.

I had the cold brew on Nitro while MFH had the cappucino.


Cheers!

This looked and tasted almost like a Guinness. MFH even liked it.


Cool architectural details on this vintage building...

Driving down 30th, we made our way to hipster donut outpost, Nomad.

The cases were pretty new. They used to display the donuts on top of old travel books, which now serve as the base for the plexiglass cases. This is better so that gross flies don't land on the donut samples.


The vegan donuts were segrated near the wall.
I still had my cold brew (with added cream and simple syrup) to enjoy with our donut trio - the everpopular ube taro coconut (thank goodness for their Filipina pastry chef!), the papaya lime cilantro and mojito crueller.

There are real mint bits in the frosting.

I'm so glad this flavor was there today. Toasted coconut tastes so much better too.

I liked the texture of the cruller but the flavor, not so much. Gave it a try though.


We each had only a few slices (not bites); I took the rest home for Bert and TC.

(painted utility box in North Park)
To walk off our calories, we took a stroll on 30th and University. We made a stop at Verbatim Books; it was the first time I've been in here in the daylight (my previous two visits were in the evening). I really like the selections they have here. It seems there is something for everyone.

Star Wars and this...Fittingly, it was next to their bathroom (note to self - a bathroom to use in the future)!

This book was interesting. It had decorated pages that you could tear our and fold into all of the characters. Now, as detailed as those instructions were, I know that I would still screw up folding them. Kudos to those that are nimble fingered and blessed with great spatial memory and detail. I do not fall into that category.

They actually had four other copies of the book in the lower left corner. Bert told me he leafed through one of them and found it amusing. I did pick up the book in the lower right corner, "The Lost City of Oz", which is soon to be a movie featuring hunk Charlie Hunnam ( Jax on "Sons of Anarchy"; he started off on American TV portraying a British college exchange student in Judd Apatow's short lived series, "Undeclared", which starred a post-"Freaks and Geeks" Seth Rogen) and (cough), Robert Pattinson, who is doing all that he can to escape his Twilight beginnings. Hunnam will star as the explore Percy Fawcett. I saw the trailer before it got pulled and it looks promising. More on the movie here.
I have to say that he is succeeding by choosing arthouse roles and projects by teaming up with respected directors in such films as David Michod's "The Rover" (this was a pretty brutal and violent movie), David Cronenberg's "Cosmopolis" AND "Maps to the Stars" (which I still have to see) and former Depeche Mode video director, Anton Corbijn's James Dean biopic, "Life" where he starred as photographer Dennis Stock (he of the infamous moody James Dean in the rain in Times Square shot).
On a different note, I read somewhere that Oceanside is being used for filming a new tv series based on Michod's movie, "Animal Kingdom"; the tv series will share the same name. It's about a the violent life of a crime family but instead of being set in Australia, it's in a fictional seaside town in California. Hooray! Here's an article about the casting call from the SD Reader.

Also purchased for pleasure reading that day was a "The Dirt" (published 2001), a collaborative autobiography of Motley Crue, one of my favorite rock bands from the 80's up 'til now.

There were two copies, one was $8, the other $7.50 (it had a crease on the cover but other than that, it was the same); so I bought the slightly cheaper one. Within the pages of tales of rock and roll debauchery was someone's grocery checklist. The clerk asked if I wanted it thrown away but I replied that I would prefer to keep it (and use it as an amusing bookmark). It's fun to conjure up stories of how this list came to be. A chef with a penchant for rock bands? A rocker chef maybe? A kindly grandma who is a secret headbanger? The list goes on. I'd been wanting this book for awhile and now I can read it on my downtime...
Previous visit to Hawthorn Coffee:
February 2016 where Bert and I had the Valentine's drink special
Previous visit to Nomad Donuts:
January 2016
Previous visit to Verbatim Books:
February 2016
It was great spending time with my friend MFH whom I only see once in awhile. We used to be officemates before she moved to another school; she retired several years ago. I can't wait to retire myself, ha ha, but it'll be a long while before that happens.


No comments:
Post a Comment