
My sis and her son (nephew #3) wanted to give San Diego Poke Co. a try....
While I'm not a big fan of poke (I don't "hate" it but it's not something I would order on a regular basis), I wanted to at least give one of the first Poke restaurants in San Diego a go.


My premature photo of our bowls before the fourth one came.

Ah, now there's our quad.

We each chose to customize our bowls (Regular is 3 scoops/$9.95) with our choice of proteins and toppings. Sorry, no Flamin' Hot Cheetos for any of us. I was surprised that my nephew didn't get that as a topping.

TC's bowl - Underneath all this was salmon, tuna and ahi. You can pretty much figure out what the toppings are. Yes, that is indeed pineapple on there. Bottom layer was rice (nephew also got rice).

My bowl - I chose bay scallops, shrimp and octopus, all of which are hidden underneath all of the toppings. The crunchies that you see is garlic and onions. Like my sis, I chose salad greens rather than rice as the base.

Nephew's bowl - salmon, tuna and ahi. He kept his toppings simple, just seaweed salad, avocado and furikake.

My sister's bowl - she chose salmon, tuna and albacore (hidden underneath all of the toppings including Krab).

We all chose the same sauce, shoyu with sesame oil and honey. None of us are into spicy stuff and as much as my sister loves coconut, she didn't want the coconut based sauce.
My bowl again - now you can see the pieces of shrimp, scallops and octopus (not too chewy).

The flavors went really well together and it was a pretty healthy bowl with the extras (edamame, and cucumbers). We all ended up taking home our leftovers (thank goodness for my cooler since it was 90+ degrees that morning).
I bought two of the imported from Hawaii mochi ice creams, the li hing mango and the passion fruit. Both were super hard when served to us and we had to ask them to cut it in half so we could share it. I liked both of the flavors; the li hing powder wasn't too strong. I kind of wished there was more of it actually.


The guys working here were very nice and chill. We got there as soon as they opened and ate in since it was too hot to eat at the outside tables.
For old time's sake, here's what San Diego Poke Co. used to be:

(photo from my "Return to Ra-Ka-De-Ka & tortas from Tropical Fruit Paradise" post, April 8, 2015)
Articles:
"San Diego Poke open first storefront in Mission Valley" SD Eater, May 2, 2016
as well as Darlene's, "A poke bowl for every taste at San Diego Poke Co." Zagat SD, May 11, 2016
San Diego Poke Co.
10387 Friars Road
San Diego, CA 92120
(619) 584-4786
sdpokeco.com; fb page + reviews from you know where
It was nice having someone else drive for a change, in this case, the nephew. But the main reason he drove is because he and my sister don't like the way I drive, ha ha. Dessert was originally going to be in the Convoy area but the kids weren't interested in the choices until my sister suggested a tried and true place in the South Bay which everyone agreed upon.


No comments:
Post a Comment