
For old time's sake, we visited the old location first (it's actually still open)...
Plus I was confused because their fb page said they had banana nut and pistachio donuts. I thought it was the old location since the home page showed the building above. Turns out the new flavors were at the new location (but they would be out of both flavors by the time we got there around 10:30 this morning).
This is the sign you see before you enter the old Mary's:

Plus this sign at the counter right when you walk in:

The old photos are still up...I noticed no cruellers. No blueberry donuts out either.

I ended up with one, a filled blueberry powdered donut.


It was high time to use the coupon that Cathy sent me late last year. I was beginning to think that the new Mary's wasn't going to open in time to use this!

(photo taken at Cotija's in Santee, post is forthcoming)
The new Mary's is next to GTM just down the street on Carlton Hills Blvd.


There was a line when we got there. Cathy was here earlier this morning (6:30 am'ish) with no line. The lady behind me at the old Mary's told me that she was also here earlier and there was no line. There was one now and an even longer line when we left.


Their walls are the same blue on the accent walls at the old Mary's. The photos depicted vintage scenes of San Diego.

The Disney and other pop culture wooden cutouts were from the old store. It was nice to see these here. I spy popeye, Chip and Dale, Donald Duck and his three nephews, Toucan Sam from Fruit Loops, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Goofy, and Pluto.

They also had photos of their many customers and friends on the walls, a holdover from the first location. This was also great to see.


A stretch of one wall had framed borders ready for new batches of photos to adorn the new shop.

Standing in line...

Bert had his heart set on a maple bacon bar. There were about six we saw while in line. However, as luck would have it, the customers before us bought them one by one. The tray of maple bacon was replaced by red velvet crumb. They had lots of donuts out but no blueberry or cruellers here either! Plus none of the banana nut or pistachio they teased readers about on facebook. Oh well, we would still get our dozen (and for half off to boot).


The cashier was Mary herself!

Our dozen: chocolate cake with peanuts, old fashioned (this was terrible and dry), maple glazed, chocolate glazed, two plain glazed, one rainbow sprinkles, raspberry filled, powdered blueberry filled, red velvet crumb, coconut, and maple bar.

We ate these here...

These were as good as they could be.

The blueberry and raspberry filled didn't have too much filling in them though. Just the dot that you see there and a tiny bit inside. I was hoping the filling would be more substantial. I did like the donuts though; they had a nice crisp exterior and a lovely fluffy interior.
The rest of them at home. Ugh, that old fashioned. I actually couldn't swallow that one bite I took. The others were much better.

TC really liked that red velvet crumb donut. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Check out their Fb page (which still shows the old location) for more news.
Here's a local video featuring Mary at the original location (from Aug. 2015):
Previous visits to the old Mary's + a preview of the new location:
"Last taste of Mary's Donuts or is it?" January 2016
"Mary's Donuts is alive for another month..." January 2016
I just realized we didn't even get any of their famous cream puffs. Well, that'll give us another reason to come here. Spring break IS coming up after this week!


6 comments:
Aww too bad about the old-fashioned... that's usually my favorite. The powdered blueberry looks yummy! I love powdered sugar, haha.
Yeah, we were pretty disappointed with that. It was so dry, I could barely swallow in. In fact, I spit it out.
The powdered blueberry filled was good but I wished it had more filling though.
So many donuts! One of these days I will make my way here...That's too bad about the old fashioned, but I'm glad the rest were good!
Hi Kirbie,
Yes,for now there are 2 locations you can go to. Their cruellers are so light and airy.
Maybe they've settled nicely into their new location now! I'd love to try a pistachio donut if they're still making them! Perhaps a visit this weekend is in order.
Hi Mary, I hope so! If you ever come across the pistachio donut, please do a full report! :) Yes, please visit. And also...cold brew soft serve at Dark Horse, heh heh.
Post a Comment