"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Return to Indulge, plus Yog-Art and Mariposa revisits

After we enjoyed our rock-centrically named sandwiches from the  awesome Classic Rock Sandwich Shoppe, TC and I walked a little bit around the block to check out some of the street art...

I also wanted to check if that tiny gourmet food shop was open...


which it was, ulike my last visit a few weeks before...

That'll learn me to go on a Monday.

I wanted to use my 20% off card from Indulge,

which was given to me when I first visited earlier this spring.

My mission was to find a few things for TORC's birthday gift which ended up being a garlic spread, a box of chocolate truffles, and a couple of items from Stonewall kitchen.

I liked how these chocolate tablets were displayed.

It's on the pricey side here, especially the decorative housewares and dinnerware.

The owner was there again (a super nice guy) and was happy that I returned to redeem my 20%. Next time, I'll go for me, ha ha.

Dessert was on TC's mind and it turned out to be at the nearby Yog-Art around the corner and across the street. I noticed this sign, but figured I could get a better version down South.

We got the table by the front window this time. No crowds but lots of people going in and out.

We overheard a group of folks in business attire talking about the boba and how one person didn't want to try it because it was too "wierd" for them. Okayyyyy....

TC got a mish mash of flavors - her toppings were those jelly popping things that look like giant fish eggs, a maraschino cherry, one lychee and sprinkles. I was surprised that she didn't get gummy bears or gummy worms which is what she normally gets.

The flavors were birthday cake, pumpkin (ugh!), and taro on the very bottom.

As for me, I held off on dessert. We passed through Normal Heights to go to our favorite used bookstore, Adams Avenue Books on Adams and 35th.

There we saw one of the two bookstore cats lounging around on the steps. It didn't even bother moving as I approached it. Cats. Eh.

Since we were in the area...

and because it was kind of a hot day, I thought it might be nice to get some ice cream. We hadn't been to Mariposa in awhile.

Prices went up a tiny bit. One scoop is now $2.75. It was $2 or $2.25 three years ago.  Again, inflation.

Their wall of Beatles related memorabilia still hasn't changed.

One of the pins said, "I slept with Paul".

I got one generous scoop in which we could pick up to two flavors.

This was Mexican chocolate with Banana Walnut.

You could see the grains of the Mexican chocolate tablet in there. It wasn't as rich or as dark brown as regular chocolate, but had a different taste to it. There was also a ton of walnuts in that banana ice cream. TC helped me finish this off before heading out to our next stop.

We wanted to see a comics related exhibit  at Art Lab, a gallery near the Adams Avenue Bookstore.

Previous visit to Indulge:
May 2013 (although the visit was back in March)

Previous visits to Yog-Art
March 2013 & August 013

Last two visits to Mariposa (there's more but I'm too lazy to post them):
December 2010 & June 2011 - Wow, has it really been that long since my last visit?

Unfortunately, the "Viva Comics!" exhibit was closed! That sucked because the closing date on the post card indicated that the 3rd of October was the last day. It was the 2nd.

There was a big pylon blocking the doorway. The guy working there said they were breaking down the exhibit to make room for the new one on the history of skateboarding in San Diego. We were disappointed because we really wanted to see this, especially since there was artwork by Paul Horn, our favorite webcomic artist/artist in general, aka the husband of Darlene of My Burning Kitchen.

Our next stop ended up being an "impulse" visit. We were on our way to our intended destination when the brightly painted designs on a random building caught my eye.  It was the lure of the street art and the visage of one of my favorite musical artists adorning a wall that made me turn my car around. That post coming up next!

No comments: