"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Crispy's Donuts

A few days ago I thought I'd check out our local donut joint for blueberry items...

It's in the Ralph's shopping center next to Baskin Robbins, Starbucks, and a nail salon. Unfortunately, I had an allergic reaction to being out in the sun several days before so I needed to get some Benadryl at Ralph's. Since I was there early, I thought I would pop in here to see what they had...

Sorry for the craptacular photo but I was trying to be surreptitious. Luckily the lady ahead of my was ordering a dozen so I was able to snap the next few shots without being "detected". My only audience wasn't even paying attention - a trio of elderly men reading the newspapers and enjoying their coffee and donuts.

They had your basic selection here. It was around 8 am so the trays were pretty much fully stocked. I've been here before after work and it was kinda sucky and sparse.

I remembered reading a yelp review that this place had blueberry buttermilk bars. Yes, the exact kind that I was looking for at Vagina VG Donuts, but they'd run out of them. A quick scan of these fried calorie boms was in order, then I saw them. There they are...second column, top tray...the row at the very end.

I wanted them all but no, I exercised some restraint., heh heh.

I bought two of them. Here's one. This was the shot in the car.

These are only .85 each.

I loved the crispy exterior and the fake blueberries dotting the glaze.

I couldn't resist dismantling my buttermilk bar little by little.

Although I've been here several times in the past, I've never blogged it and I also wasn't aware of the blueberry buttermilk bar. I'd only bought the regular glazed old fashioned. There's something about breaking off the crispy edge pieces that is satisfying!

Crispy's Donuts 
1471 East H St. (in the Ralph's shopping center)
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(619) 482-3012

There is no website but it did have some positive yelp reviews.

FYI - The sign for Crispy's is only a neon sign on their window. It just says "DONUTS' for the signage above.

This is the only blueberry item they make here. Yes, it's not "real" but oh my (insert diety here), I love it! Maybe I can convince the guy to make blueberry donuts or donut holes, but if not, at least I don't have far to drive for my blueberry buttermilk bar fix!

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

That photo captures how fresh and crispy the buttermilk bar is. Will stop in when I'm in the neighborhood.

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - yes, i love the crispy exterior, the nooks and crannies.