
It had been quite a while since I last saw the author, whom I first met nearly two decades ago at a Filipino American educators conference. It would be nice to see him again and to have him sign my books as well.
For those who are not aware, Filipino American History Month is celebrated in October, based on the documentation that Filipinos were recorded as being in what is now known as the New World on October 18, 1587 by Spanish explorer Pedro de Unamuno. He recorded that several "Luzones Indios" were part of an expedition to survey the land in Morro Bay. Luzones Indios were in fact, referring to Filipinos. Luzon is one of the mainland in the Philippine archipelago while "indio" was a derogatory term given to the natives.

(image from FANHS National "About Filipino American History" tab)
So there you have it, Filipinos have been in the New World for over 400 years. We were the original Star Trek red shirts. But seriously, this is the stuff I would cite if someone ever asked me how long "our kind" has been here.
Now let's go inside now dammit...
The event was upstairs in one of the classrooms. We marveled at how nice and new this facility was.

As you can see, I had my book (one of them) ready...

The lecture room was intimate, with room for about 50 people. The room was 3/4 full when we got in, a few minutes after the scheduled start time of 7 pm. He talked a little bit about himself then read a few chapters from "Seasons by the Bay" and a few poems from "Full Deck (Jokers Playing).

The audience was rapt with attention as he effortlessly read snippets from his books, weaving memorable images through his skillful narration.

See his shirt? It reads, "Teach the truth" on the FRONT.
On the BACK, this was the image, taken from a turn of the century editorial cartoon, specifically during the Philippine American War (which is buried in US History books and termed as "The Philippine Insurrection").

This was an actual order given by Gen. Jacob Smith in which soldiers were told to kill anyone over the age of ten during the Philippine American War.You may read more about Gen. Jacob "Howling" Smith here and turn of the century anti-Philippine propaganda here.
That editorial cartoons is one of the slides that I use when I do my presentations on Filipino American history to students.
It was cool that Oscar still remembered me (or at least pretended to). Asides from educator conferences, he would also be present at the FANHS national conferences. The last one we went to was back in 2007 in Hawaii and prior to that, in LA in 2002. TC was still a tiny toddler back then.

Here are my books - two from my collection and the one in the front, bought that very evening. The one in the back, "Without Names - A Collection of Poems" is hard to find. It was published in 1985 by the Bay Area Pilipino Writers Group. Oscar has a few poems in there. Back in college, I originally read Oscar's work in "Aiiieeee!!! An Anthology of Asian American Writers" (1974) edited by Frank Chin. The book is now considered a staple in Asian American studies courses. After finishing my masters and having more money to buy books for my growing collection, I caught bits and pieces of Oscar's work through various anthologies on Filipino American literature and poetry.
I saw this online, a "then and now" poster no doubt made by his students.

(image from Oscar's fb)
He was quite dashing when he was young! When I first met him at an educators' conference years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he was a high school teacher at Logan High in Union City. Previously, he taught at a middle school, but the bios I'd read up to that point had him as one of the original faculty of SFSU's ethnic studies department, borne of the Third World Strike. I found him easy going, full of interesting stories and passionate about Filipino American history. My colleagues and I admired how his school incorporated Filipino American history into their curriculum at Logan High. I believe he's retired now but is still active in the community as well in the FANHS chapter in the Bay Area. I hope he will come to the author's reception next year when FANHS, SD hosts the national conference.
Articles about and/or by Oscar Penaranda:
"Looking Back - Filipino Heroes Fight On" "Looking Back - Philippine War's U.S. Atrocities, Filipino Heroes shape present" both from The James Logan High Courier, May 21, 2007
"An evening with Oscar Penaranda draws poets, writers to Bindlestiff" - The FilAm SF, April 25, 2013
"Why the New Name Should be Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School", an Op Ed by Oscar Penaranda, Scribd.com, March 2013
Author info from "Seasons by the Bay" - AsianAmericanBooks and "Full Deck (Jokers Playing) - both books published in 2004.
More info about Filipino American History Month
fanhs-national.org
I'm glad that we took the time of a Friday night no less, to listen to one of my favorite authors and poets. It was also good that TC got to see him and hear him in action. Many times, she's usually the youngest person at these events but we firmly believe that she should be exposed (as she has been since she was a baby) to events that commemorate Filipino American history. It's one thing having an educator for a parent (me) and hearing me do my presentations on Filipino American history. It's another thing hearing someone else, a published author talking about the same thing to actually pique her interest and catch her attention. I hope one day, sooner rather than later, she'll appreciate our efforts.
Well, one look at my watch told me it was high time to head back to good ole Donut Stop. We, okay, I had to go see if they had their blueberry donuts available and we were itching for something sweet...


2 comments:
Very nice, informative post. I'm learning more and more from you all the time. Plus, I've been curious about that building complex that I always just drive past...
Thank you for taking the time to read and absorb Cathy. I was trying not to go 'overboard' with all the info, but i can't help it. it's in my nature to inform.
that building is quite nice. miramar college has changed so much over the years.
Post a Comment