
Where to? To the leafy lined streets of South Park...
We parked a few blocks away and as we walked up the street, KDB had a coffee craving.

(that's not KDB by the way)
A former resident of Portland, he was lucky to have so many good coffee shops all over town. He tends to frequent smaller microroaster places rather than the big names like Stumptown (which IS good). Plus, with a name like Captain Kirk, it was hard for him to pass this up.
The coffee stand took out most of the funny captioned pop culture/Star Trek photos (they kept a few on the far left) and replaced them with their different fruit bowls.

Voila - KD's iced coffee with soy milk. Nothing too earth shattering, but it gave him his morning caffeine.

The girls and I noticed this cool Snoopy water bowl for dog passerbys.

One last look..

This is the "Bunny Kitty" mural by street artist Dave Persue (pronounced "per-sway"). If it looks familiar to you, it's because I've had shots of this mural appear in several of my previous South Park posts (will put up links later). It's on the side of the building that houses the trio of hipster shops Junc Life and Style, The Make Good and Bad Madge.

I really like the vibrant colors of this mural. I can't even make out the letters. I'm old, I can't decipher graffiti lettering styles, but I do like the sense of motion and all of the curves in the mural.

A new cement walkway was being set up...

There are a few more Bunny Kitty murals in San Diego...one in North Park and the other off of 30th and Redwood, on a Laundramat building of all places. That post is forthcoming. We happened to pass by it and I simply could not pass it up to the point where I did a U-turn much to TC's chagrin and did my own photoshoot.
Previous visit to Captain Kirk's Coffee:
February 2013 - the same day we attended the
Info on street arts Dave Persue:
"GraffitiBeach March 8, 2013
"San Diego Street Art" - SD City Beat, March 4, 2011
plus a video:
ArtPulse.TV (this features his works all over San Diego as well as images of the aforementioned Laudramat on Redwood and 30th before and after it was painted).
Since our lunch destination didn't open up 'til 11:30, we looked at the cool window displays at the stores, ventured in a few before heading over to the tavern...


No comments:
Post a Comment