"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, October 06, 2013

VG Donuts & Bakery

Since we were up in the area, I thought we would grab a few bites of dessert at this donut shop I'd been hearing about...

It was on our way down from Oceanside and we are hardly ever up here so we thought we would check it out.

It's pretty easy to get to. VG Donuts is in a tiny corner strip mall with it's own parking lot (there is only one way in and out). Since we got there around 3:30 pm'ish, I wasn't sure what kind of donuts would be left. We would soon find out.

They have an outside seating area complete with a cool mural of the beach and surf. It's only fitting since the donut shop is just steps away from the ocean.

It wasn't crowded when we got there, but groups of people would come in waves, I noticed during our short time there.

Their donut prices were pretty reasonable, about .90 and up. As you can see from the trays, many were empty. The ones that were still filled were donuts I didn't really care for.

They were out of the blueberry buttermilk bar I'd heard of so I was kind of disappointed but knew it was because we'd come late in the day when the selection was limited.

Asides from donuts, they also had cookies, muffins, danishes, croissants, and...

even tarts, cakes and pies...Some were even in a revolving circular display case (not shown).

To tell you the truth, I was not really impressed with what they had, so we only had one each.  The guy working the counter screwed up and got Bert a chocolate bar instead of maple bar. We didn't know until we took the donuts out of the paper bag.

Maybe because it was hot and also because we had bagged donuts (no point in getting a box since we only got three),  the donuts looked kind of ugly when we removed them from the bag. The kid wrapped the donuts with paper and put them in face down.  This was my chocolate glazed.

TC's twist.

And the botched order, Bert's non- maple bar. He didn't want to go in and get a new one so he settled for the chocolate.

After we had a few bites, I went back in to get a few more items for later...

I felt compelled to get something blueberry, so I got the blueberry bread. When Mary went a few years ago, it was $3.79; it is now .20 more. It was a bit too sweet but Bert really enjoyed it the next morning. I ended up eating the crumbly top.

The other blueberry item I got was the blueberry jelly filled donut. This, I liked.

I felt bad that Bert didn't get his maple donut so I got him the maple glazed for the next day.

Man, is it just me but when I see the letters "VG", I think of the word...VadGe!  Ewwww, Vagina Donuts!  Alright, I guess it's just me then.

Seriously though, I'm sure this place is really good, but that afternoon we weren't feeling it. The donuts we had weren't any more special than other donuts we've had. The glaze was also too melted which I didn't like, but that could be attributed to the hot day. Of the donuts we got that day, I liked the blueberry filled the best but wouldn't go out of my way to go here again since I can get that anywhere.

Who else went to VG Donuts?

Mary -  It's hard to spend $25 at a donut shop" - July 2011
plus C for Cupcake Cupcakery who went here October 2011 -  Her post features a great picture of their blueberry buttermilk bar, the ONE I WANTED BUT THEY WERE OUT OF!
and lastly, San Diego Donuts' post from  December 2012.

VG Donuts & Bakery
106 Aberdeen Dr.
Cardiff by the Sea, CA 92007
(760) 753-2400

vgbakery.com plus their twitter link

I was bummed d that we missed out on their blueberry buttermilk bar, but that craving would soon be rectified a few days later. Plus, that particular donut shop was way closer to home!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I heard somewhere that VG's makes donuts fresh two times a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I've never tested this theory, though. Oh well. I don't remember thinking VG's was totally amazeballs or anything.

CAB said...

The blueberry jelly/jam filled donut looks good!

caninecologne said...

hi mary - i think i read that on your previous post on VAG donuts. it didn't seem like the case when we went in the afternoon, unless we happened to go after a horde of people cleaned them out like what happened to us when we went to Acme in Portland. Hardly any good donuts left. But even Acme's was better than VG's.

hi cab - that was pretty decent. the rest was "meh".