"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chico's and Save a lot again...

Earlier this week I was in the area (my omnipresent "excuse", heheh)...

The tamales sign was calling my name at Chico's...


I didn't get any more pan de muerto. I think I'm done with those for the year. This was what I left with...

I got a flaky stick thing (not quite a campechana since this wasn't as sweet or as crunchy), an oreja for TC, an empanada de pina, and another cuello de azucar (it looked like the one from Gloria's and I wanted to compare).

Dia de los Muertos is almost here...

In the plastic bag before heading home...

And about the tamale, I only bought one (for now). They are $1.50 each. This was the beef.

The other choices were chicken and cheese with jalapeno. I'll have to try those next time.

At home, the empanada de pina. Some places make them with points (like at Moreliana). This was also glazed. Sometimes, they just have sugar on top. I like the glaze. It's less messy and it looks nice.

I really like the sweet pineapple filling. I'm sure it's not "organic",or "sustainable" or even "homemade", perhaps even canned, but hey, I like it!

I decided that I don't really like these that much. It's too dry.

If it was made out of puff pastry, then maybe I would...

This was also another thing that I probably won't get again.

I like the slightly glazed top the best. But it was too dry. Not stale, just dry.

TC is obsessed with these...

I like them too! I couldn't help but break off an edge or two!

Bert and I shared the tamale as an afternoon snack...

We added some stuff to it...

Later this evening, Bert brought home a few things from Save a Lot. He was down south doing some errands and visiting his mom. I don't know if he realized we still had the pastries from the weekend to finish! But hey, I'm not complaining! Look, it's ANOTHER oreja! Plus a pan de muerto (.69 man!) and two coconutty cookie things.

I didn't have a chance to taste this since it was claimed by Bert!

This one was kind of "heavy" feeling, but I had a lttle nibble. It was okay, not too moist though.

After November 2, the pan de muertos will no longer be sold. It's like the Rosca de Reyes cakes. You can't buy them after January 6 (Three Kings Day) or Christmas Cakes in Japan (no longer sold after December 25). This is kind of mean, but I read somewhere on a Japanese pop culture site  that women over the age of 25 in Japan are referred to as Christmas Cakes. No one wants them past the 25th ; they are considered "used goods". That sucks!  And hey, I got married at 26 years of age! WTH!  Ha ha!

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

I guess most of the items are meant to be 'dry' and probably served with coffee, hot chocolate or elote drinks...at least that's how it seems. I don't mind dry, but sometimes am disappointed also. I'm waiting for Rosca de Reyes time, but really liked most of the Pan de Muertos I tried this year. {We were 22, but back in the olden days, that was almost old.}

caninecologne said...

Hi cathy, yeah, dry is not really good for me. unless it's made fresh. i've not had an elote drink before. i understand that's made of corn.