"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Tan Ky Mi Gia

For our second day in supporting FANHS, SD's events, we headed up to Manilamesa Mira Mesa for an early dinner...

It looks like some sort of transit connection/bridge is currently being constructed on the 15.

The sun was ready to set while we waited in post rush hour traffic on Mira Mesa Blvd.  Our destination would be in the Lucky Seafood strip mall...


to try something new to us at the Vietnamese/Chinese noodle shop Tan Ky Mi Gia. It's next to a dental office and Valerio's Bakery (the next building over, not shown).

While Bert and TC secured a table (which wasn't a problem because there were only a few people inside and not yet the dinner rush), I walked over to Donut Stop to see if they had any blueberry donuts.

It was nearly 6 pm. The young man at the donut place said they would have a fresh batch at 8 pm when the baker got in, so I made a mental note to return after the poetry reading.

"Mi" refers to egg noodles and those dishes are the specialty of this restaurant, which also has another location on El Cajon Blvd. TC wanted bun...

while Bert and I ordered two different types of mi dishes.

Only a couple of tables besides ours were occupied. TC was watching the anti-Seaworld documentary on the flat screen TV's. The show focused on how killer whales should not be in captivity and showed some pretty graphic footage of animal trainers being attacked and injured by "Shamu" and friends complete with mangled limbs and blood everywhere.  Nice.

The front counter looked like it should be in someone's kitchen since it was indeed kitchen cabinetry.

I noticed that the number "4" was missing on the walls. We were at table 3 and the one behind us was 5. I was wondering if that was because the number 4 is considered unlucky or because the sound for 4 was similar to the word "death" in Chinese. If someone out there knows, please correct me or school me on this.

TC's mango boba and my iced coffee (both Bert and I had these). Man, this was a strong one too! I loved it and that I didn't have to deal with a filter and mixing the condensed milk, pouring it over the ice, blah blah. blah.

Our eyes were big. Our entrees plus a banh xeo. I just had to order it since I wanted to compare it to the other one's we've had.

This was Bert's soup, the #18 - Pork BBQ with egg noodles soup. It was served with a ton of cut up green onions and a cracker with a fried shrimp on it.

Underneath were the perfectly cooked egg noodles. Bert's soup broth also had a good flavor.

TC's beef bun with egg roll. I was surprised she got this but the menu didn't offer an eggroll-less version. She wasn't in the mood for soup and bun is usually her "go to" dish at Vietnamese places.

The greens plate for the banh xeo were only lettuce leaves and mint. No tia to (purple perilla) or flat leaf chives like we've had at Pho Hiep and Que Huong. The crepe was a generous size and the nuoc mam was both salty and sweet.

When lifte, you could see how fully packed this was with bean sprouts, onions, shrimp and pork. I've not had a version with this much onions before. The exterior was not as crisp as Pho Hiep's. It was bigger too but not soggy or too soft like Que Huong's.

The banh xeo ended up being enjoyed the next day for breakfast by TC.

Now here is my soup, the #19 - Seafood soup with egg noodles.

The seafood consisted of two tail on shrimp, two pieces of Krab, two or three pieces of fish balls (heh heh), two slices of fish cake and about four slices of scored squid.

I really liked my soup, more so than Bert's bbq pork soup. My broth was had a more delicate flavor than his.

I would totally get this again. I like these noodles better than the rice noodles in pho.

The innards of one of TC's cut up eggrolls...

The girl working there was so patient with us. Once our orders were places, it didn't take that long to get our filling and fragrant soups.

Who else went to Tan Ky Mi Gia?
Cathy recently went here a few weeks ago, but Kirk has gone here many many times (visit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6).

Tan Ky Mi Gia
9330 Mira Mesa Blvd. #a
San Diego, CA 92126
(858) 271-8899

There is no website

It was almost 7 pm and we had to head out to make it to the presentation/poetry reading by esteemed Filipino American author/poet/educator/activits Oscar Penaranda over at Miramar College. I also intended to come back to Donut Stop to see if they would have their fresh batch of blueberry donuts as promised!

4 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

I've heard the same explanation about the number 4, and remember when we were looking at new Japanese vehicles long ago, they were called '5 door' (hatchbacks) or that the car had 'doors for the rear seats', never were they called '4 door'. I can't count the of times The Mister and I (we are both very blonde and very Caucasian) have automatically been seated at Table 4 at Asian restaurants; it remains empty until we show up. ANYOW- the food is great here; just a bit different than other places.

caninecologne said...

Haha, they give YOU GUYS the 4th table, omg! WTF man! Number 4 is reserved for the non-Asians I guess!

Mary said...

Dude, this place is around the corner from my house and yet I have never been. I like the other style of noodles they have for their soup! I'll have to go "investigate" that.

caninecologne said...

mary, you'll have to go there to explore the menu then!!!! Plus get some donuts at donut stop!