
While Bert went off to the first aid section, I headed towards the snacks where I saw and eventually bought the Watermelon Oreo cookies...
I'd been hearing about this elusive "limited edition" flavor from TC and her friend KDD. Earlier this year, KDD raved about their "Berry Burst" flavor. On the package, if you lifted a flap, you would see the other limited edition flavors. TC found the Berry Burst to be way too sweet and artificial. The watermelon would prove to be the same. The one I really wanted was the Triple Double Oreo Neapolitan cookies. It had two flavors and three cookies and looked more appealing to me.

There were only two packages of the Watermelon Oreos, but one looked like it was tampered with so I didn't want to chance it. I was really curious to try these after searching unsuccessfully for them a few months ago and then giving up.

The cookies were vanilla and the creme filling was two toned.

The colors reminded me of something a preppy would have worn in the 80's, like layered Izod shirts.

The verdict? Not something I would get again. It was really sweet with a faint hint of watermelon. Kind of like a Jolly Rancher but not as intense. I prefer the original chocolate Oreo cookies. Of course, the kids liked this more than Bert and myself.
Since it's currently October, there are other Limited Edition Oreo flavors like the Candy Corn flavor and the Halloween edition with orange cream filling.

Now this photo was taken in late September at the Chula Vista Target. I didn't know that the Pumpkin Spice M&M's was a much sought after flavor and that it's sold out at most Targets. Not being a fan of pumpkin anything, I didn't even consider buying it.

M&M's also had a flavor that was white chocolate "candy corn", but didn't taste like candy corn. Instead, the candies just mimicked the candy corn colors. Darlene used these candies in her blonde brownies recipe.
These candy corn packages were "fruit" flavored and the other mixed with peanuts. Both of those varieties seem very wrong.

TC picked up a bag of the regular candy corn candy for a future baking project (post will be forthcoming). I used to like those but now that I'm older, my tolerance for sugary candies like that has gone down. Way down.
More Halloween candy related posts to come...
This was just a palate cleanser in between the recurring Canada posts and the recent Fall Break lunch excursions...
Carry on then...


7 comments:
Watermelon Oreos would probably have left me mimicking a dog with the dry heaves. I did try the Candy Corn and Caramel Apple Jones Sodas you gave me. They were pretty obnoxious.
Do you remember in 1986 when San Diego County was the test-market for Apple Slice? I distinctly remember getting a two-liter up in San Marcos and being barely able to finish a glass.
(Thanks again for the Jones Sodas! I didn't mean for my previous comment to sound dickish in any way, shape or form! And TC was 100% correct that those sodas needed a H2O chaser! =:^)
Hello PH! no worries. i didn't even think the comment was dickish in any way! ha ha, even my sugar fiend daughter didn't like those sodas despite the promising flavors.
about the Apple Slice - i vaguely remember that soda. Therefore, i had to look up an old youtube commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AIp97ie6E
"We got the juice and it tastes so nice....we got the juice (diet too)....Apple Slice!"
after having seen it, i remember actually liking it!!!! it was way better than that new Coke crap or the clear coke in 1985. Remember that?
Watermelon Oreos.... why, why, why. Same with candy corn flavored, ugh. I'll just pass on all of those things. I tried the pumpkin spice m&m's and I didn't like those, either. I guess I like the "idea" of things then their execution most of the time. I feel like they just throw extra sugar in there and hope no one notices.
hi mary - who even thought of these abominations? and the candy corn m&m's are a rip. they're not even candy corn flavored! wth!
I am SO not into pumpkin anything. and everywhere i look in the stores is pumpkin flavored stuff, even treats for dogs!
I was at Trader Joe's this weekend and they said they have 47 new pumpkin items, heehee. Lucky for me I like pumpkin stuff! Not so lucky for you.
i got the new TJ's Fearless Flyer and pretty much tossed it. It had mostly pumpkin in it. pumpkin this, pumpkin that.
don't get me wrong, i do like a slice of pumpkin pie now and then but it's only during thanksgiving time.
i think it's great for the pumpkin lovers though.
Post a Comment