
I knew KDB had eaten here before and liked it, plus I knew the teens would like their burgers...

It was nice to be here on a quiet Friday morning instead of the horrendous crowded situation that was the South Park Walkabout earlier this year....
Looks like they are open early for weekends now, if you ever want to catch breakfast here.

We sat outside near a wall of vines, which I learned later, were "hops:.

I like their simple menu. There's something for everyone.

Our burgers and sweet potato fries.

These were so damn good! They came with a side of spicy aioli.

KDD's Station Burger - no onions or pickles or cheese. She likes her food pretty plain.

TC's Station Burger with cheddar cheese.

KDB's burger with pepper jack cheese.

I went against the grain and got the Farmer's Salad (which I got last time I was here). I had a side of bacon (3 thick cut slices), and a fried egg on top.

The dressing was honey mustard which I requested on the side. It was quite tasty, with those mustard seeds in there. I liked the sweetness of the dressing most of all and I even dipped my sweet potato fries in it.

Here's another shot of the salad where you could see the fried egg. It had a runny yolk. I forgot to ask them to fry it "over hard".

I loved the mix of vegetables in here - cucumbers, beets, carrots, watermelon radis, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes..

It was too much to finish so Bert was the lucky recipient of this salad later on that day (complete with the honey mustard dressing poured over it). The bacon was really tasty but three strips was a bit much for the salad. It might have been easier for me to eat if I cut it up.
About those hops...I didn't realize the vines were the hops plant, as KDB pointed out.

Here's a closeup of a hop, or the female flower. It kind of looks like a pine cone. Hops are used to flavor beers, giving it a bitter flavor.

I'm not a fan of hoppy beers, but in San Diego's craft beer crazed culture, that's what put SD on the map, those bitter IPAs.

I have a new wrinkle in my cortex now.
Previous visits to Station Tavern:
December 2010
We walked off some of the calories, again perusing certain shop windows and popping our heads in a few of the stores. It's pretty compact here in this little area of South Park but it was time to move on.
On to dessert that is! Lucky for them, I thought it would be the perfect time to take advantage of that honey toast special that MFH and I passed up on a few days ago! Heh heh, what better reason to go back to Up2You Cafe for that "Happy Hour" dealy-o!


No comments:
Post a Comment