
plus TC and Bert wanted to try their aguas refrescas, so off we went since we were in the area...
Many folks were here in the eatery area of the market. Here were some of the offerings:

They had steam trays of delicious Mexican food that you could order as combo plates. Everything looked and smelled so good!

Meanwhile at the drinks counter, I saw a few cantelopes being prepped for their mixed fruit containers. The big barrel container in the front was their horchata.

Unfortunately, they were out of sandia (watermelon), so TC got the melon (cantelope) while Bert and I shared the same drink I had the first time I came, the espinaca con pina (spinach with pineapple juice).

It's probably not as healthy as it sounds since they do add a lot of sugar in there, but I still like it!
Another area of the kitchen had huge sheets of fried pork chicharon...

In a separate island in the dining area were workers making flour tortillas. There was a tray with flour balls which the woman would place in a machine which flattened them.

After they were pressed, she would place the tortilla on a round revolving contraption, which I think also warmed them up. I think she would flip them over too. Another woman would retrieve them and put them in stacks.

Here was the dining area...

The view near the entrance. This place was busy!

Enchiladas, beans, and rice:

Salsas and accompaniments for the tacos (cilantro, onions, lim wedges, guacamole). I'm not sure what was in the larger tray.

More food...

They also had steamed tacos (a vapor):

There was a revolving spit of adobada with a pineapple on top along with the chicken rotisserie rack. The smells of the roasting meats filled the air...

Preparing our tacos. They also doubled the corn tortillas, so it was like we had four instead of just two, so yay.

Although the tacos ook the same since they are hidden under the toppings, these are buche and birria.

For some reason, I thought buche was the neck. It is actually fried pig's esophagus!!! (but another source I saw online said that it was pork stomach; I think the version we had wasn't the stomach because of the look and texture).The birria de res taco had more of a kick to it.

I think this was the buche taco.

Bert and I divided the fillings so there would be two of each kind. TC stuck with the birria taco.

TC saw this from afar and took this snap of a "slant-eyed" peanut:

Hmmmm, now would that be considered racist? These are "peanuts Japanese style" (translated from the box).
Before we left, we picked up one of the rotisserie chickens ($4.99).

When we got home and later cut it up, we found the chickens quite small; they didn't really yield a lot of meat.

We tried it once but will stick with the rotisserie chickens from Costco, which are the same price but the chickens are bigger. More bang for our buck, especially if we want the chicken to last for most of the week.
Previous visit to Save a Lot Market:
September 2013
We'll still be back but to try a combination plate or some of their other taco offerings. I can cross buche off the list now, haha.


6 comments:
Thanks for doing this again; you got all the photos I will someday get, after I try everything from the seam trays for lunch. Yes, the spinning pans are cooking the flour tortillas-there's one at Otay Farms Market; you can see it in the back-this one in the center is just cool.
hello cathy,
thanks. i know you will do your revisit sooner or later.
i'd never seen a tortilla making machine before. it's cool how this one is out in the open.
I've been to Save a Lot, but maybe not this particular location since I don't remember there being food in it! Where is this one at? They have a tortilla making machine you can watch at Las Cuatro Milpas if you sit in the kitchen and watch them. Little less automated there, though haha.
hi mary - this one is near Oasis ice cream----corner of Saturn and Coronado. Right behind St. Charles church.
Ohhh, it's in far-away land! Yeah, the one near Jake's house doesn't have that food stuff, and the one around Encanto doesn't either. I had no idea any of them have food!
haha, "far away land"! I didn't even know there were other locations of Save a Lot. I like the food area here. It's also near Kababayan Market, which sells fried chicken skins!!!! Humminah.
Post a Comment