"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, October 03, 2013

"Jackpot" from Star Dust

As a consolation prize for having been closed this Saturday during our little food crawl...

(Notice the "CLOSED" sign? That happens a lot. Unless I just have crappy timing. This is an older photo by the way.)

Bert happened to stop by this morning during a work related errand that brought him through IB...

I got a text from him early this afternoon that Star Dust was open!

"Jackpot, a dozen cinnamon rolls from Star Dust!"

(first two photos from my "In search of desserts..." post, June 2013)

To refresh your memory, here are the "hours "of this establishment...

(from my "Food Crawl with Bert" post from May 2011)

When Bert walked up to the window, he exclaimed, "Oh, you're open!" and the guy (who was the lone employee, Mr. Cliff Arnold)  just looked at him sternly and he replied (with a bit of a glare), "I'm ALWAYS open!"!


Bert thought he might have offended him and tried to deflect his comment by saying, "Oh, it's probably bad timing on my part...".

A dozen of Star Dust Donuts' prized cinnamon rolls were ordered (.96 each) and five were shared with co-workers...

Here are the remaining half dozen at home...

with the remaining seven for us! (insert maniacal laughter here)

Bert got them while they were still WARM too!  He was surprised that there was no one in line and he was able to order right away. As he was leaving, a truckload of people arrived and ordered several bags of donuts.

Here's Bert's quick snap as he was at the stoplight on Palm Ave.

Last successful visit to Star Dust:

March 2013

Inicidentally, this is actually my second most popular post (the first is "Bacon and Mushroom Pasta", WTF, right?!). Apparently someone put a link of this post on a ChowHound thread...March 9, 2013., calling that particular post, "recent donut porn". I don't really read ChowHound at all but only noticed when I checked my stats and saw a spike in that post.  Interesting what people will dig up, especially when I'm not on google search.

This was such a nice surprise, so thanks Bert!

6 comments:

Darlene said...

Everything there is great deal. I need a revisit soon!

caninecologne said...

hi darlene - i wonder if you should call ahead to make sure the guy is open, ha ha. at least oasis will be open if star dust is closed!

Cathy Doe said...

Look at it as part of the allure, the mystery that is Stardust. It's a great place and even better when you can get a donut-you'll know it is fresh. I'm so glad I know it's here.

caninecologne said...

Yes, the "allure"! I like that, ha ha. The donuts here are just plain good. Simple but good.

Mary said...

It's always nice when the stars align for Star Dust. You feel super lucky, like the universe is smiling upon you hahah.

caninecologne said...

Hi Mary - That is SO true for Star Dust!