"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Closed on Mondays!

I wanted to check out Rosie Lee's, a British import store on Park Blvd. I remember getting one of their postcards from the SD Foodblogger's bake sale last month. After our lunch at Barrio Star, I drove up 5th into the heart of Hillcrest...

San Diego's LGBTQ community will have their Pride Festival the weekend of July 16th. Should be a fun event! On University Ave, TC and I saw an American flag that had rainbow stripes instead of red and white. We bought thought it was very cool...

A produce store somewhere on Park Blvd...

Approaching the University Heights sign (that's sign #2 in this post!)...

We parked near Soltan Banoo (a Persian eateryt)...

Unfortunately, Rosie Lee's (and the rest of the shops on this block) was closed on Mondays! Boo!

We peered through the windows at the jars and boxes of imported British jams, snacks and candies lining the shelves. There was a red sign that said, "Keep Calm and Carry On" and a few Union Jack printed items that caught TC's eye. I was hoping we would buy our dessert here but since it was not to be that day, we wanted to try another place I had in mind...

Which brings us to Adams Avenue in Normal Heights. Below is a painted utility box next to, you guessed it, a liquor store!

The view from our parking space. We wanted to see if Viva Pops was open; it's to the left of Tao (the mustard yellow store front).

Like Rosie Lee's before this, Viva Pops was closed as well. What is it with Mondays? It was so damn hot walking around. I didn't want to repark so we walked a few blocks over to another dessert place I knew was open for sure...

But first, a quick stop at the Adams Avenue Bookstore so I could use their bathroom. No, I did not "clog" it.  TC found a used paperback (some horse series) to add to her summer reading list. As my eyes scanned the shelves in the children's section, I saw this vintage children's book. The title attracted me because it included the word "pookie" (which is the slang term for VADGE, or Poo-Say in the Filipino language). Can you believe it was $45 and was circa 1953 (although this was a reprint from 1959). Apparently, "Pookie", the creation of British writer Ivy Wallace, was a rabbit with wings. Considered a "beloved" character in England, there was a whole series of Pookie books. The series ended in the early 60's but the author's daughters revived the series years later.


At last, a place that was open - Mariposa! Since it was a hot day, that called for some homemade ice cream!

Scoops were $2.75 and you can split the flavors. The young guy working the counter gave us a generous portion (too much in fact, for me). TC got the Cookies 'n Cream with the Cookies and Mint. I got the Pistachio with the Butterfinger...

TC normally gets something fruit flavored but asides from Lemon Sherbert, they did not have any fruit selections that day.

All the flavors we tried were excellent and very thick and creamy. My Butterfinger was supersweet from the crush up candy within.

Here's a sweet blast from the past. Fresh from their success as a supporting act in Prince's movie, "Purple Rain" (1984) was The Time's "Ice Cream Castles" from the album of the same name:

I love how Morris Day and his band choreograph their dance moves! There's the lone white guy in the brown suit and the soon to be even more famous duo of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. And let's not forget Jesse Johnson in that pink suit! Remember those black and white Stacy Adams shoes? They are all over the place here! I miss the days when MTV and VH-1 would actually play real music videos!

4 comments:

Dennis K. said...

You were in my hood! I can walk to Soltan and Rosie Lee's. RL had frozen pork pies that I wanted to try one day.

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - have you ever eaten at soltan? how about lei lounge?

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, I've eaten at Soltan a few times way back when they were a tiny spot right across the street from where they are now. Lots of cranberries in the rice is most what I remember, sorry.
Same with Lei Lounge, went when they were new back in the day. The place can get packed at night. Good drinks but I can't remember much of the food, not in a bad way, just was too long ago.

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - were those cranberries or barberries (used a lot in persian food)? they're both tart. i've been to lei lounge twice with my co-workers. we went before prom! ha ha, prom! my co-worker was able to get a cabana the first time (back when they opened in 2006) and a fire pit the second time. the food wasn't that great but it sure looked pretty.