
Holy $#%@ballz, a collection of handpainted knives, hatchets and cleavers?
I WAS SO GOING TO SEE THAT...
The exhibit was to be held in the foyer of Left Hand Black, a new tattoo parlor in South Park.
Since TC was going with me, I did "preview" the art on their website ahead of time. I didn't really deem any of the images I saw as "inappropriate". Slightly disturbing maybe if you're a prude, but not anything that would scar her for life, ha ha. But seriously, it's art. Just bloody, violent and freaky art.

This is right off the corner of Grape and Fern. I don't know what was there before, but there ya go, a new tattoo parlor slash art gallery.

We didn't really know what to expect when we got in. No one greeted us but then again, the tattoo artist was hard at work. He did see us walk in but apparently we weren't important enough to acknowledge. Perhaps we weren't "the type" or whatever.
There was a guy was in the back getting tattooed so the whole time we were there, we heard the constant buzzing of the electric needle. Luckily the exhibit was in the main part of the parlor so we wouldn't have to walk back to where the chairs were.
The counter in the front had a glass cased curio cabinet filled with vintage looking creepy odds and ends.There were more art pieces in the tattooing area but as mentioned before, we didn't venture that far.

It was interesting to see each artist's paintings on these sharp implements. One cleaver had ivy wrapped around it, while another was a shield with hanging bones. Each item, by the way, was on sale. So if you fancy a gaunt cadaver, bleeding angel, or a slashed woman above your mantel or in your living room, feel free!

Some of the detail on the pieces was really amazing. I didn't take up close photos because I wasn't sure if we were being "watched" via camera (although I didn't see any).

Lots of skulls, viscera, zombies, devils, and even a mermaid.

The piece mounted on the wooden board reminded me of an impaled insect.

More cleavers...

How about hanging this in your family room? That would be a good conversation starter, eh?

TC thought this was wierd looking. Was it a bear or a panda?

One last look before leaving...

Across the street was South Park Abbey and just beyond that was the Gala Foods parking lot which houses the Mariscos Nine Seas food truck. At the very corner was Piacere Mio, a new Italian/gelato place that replaced Fern St. Cafe. I am very curious about trying that in the near future.
Left Hand Black
1947 Fern St., Suite 5
San Diego, CA 92102
(619) 546-6555
LHBLK.com plus their Fb page
For thumbnails on each piece of art, click here. Each piece is titled and labeled with the artist's name. You can see more detail there than from my pix.
Short reviews/blurbs about the exhibit:
"Leave it to Cleaver" - Tattoo Snob, Sept. 12, 2013
If you can't make it, here's a quick video of the exhibit:
(Haha, the screen capture shows those creepy twins from "The Shining"! RED RUM!")
Really interesting exhibit. One of the most unique things I've ever seen. Although we felt a bit awkward while in there, I still enjoyed seeing the creativity on display. TC thought it was pretty cool and liked the decor. I'm glad she's not frou frou/girly or totally uptight that she would be shocked by the artwork.
Before we left, the tattoo artist finally put down his needle to greet us and asked us if we needed any help. I just told him we were just checking out the exhibit.
The show ends on Nov. 2 so hurry on down there if you want to check out this intriguingly different exhibit!


No comments:
Post a Comment