
I still wanted to make a quick stop at a local South Bay institution...
It's usually a hit or miss thing and in this case...
it was a "miss" at Star Dust Donuts. Sad panda.

I thought for sure they would be open on a weekday after lunch.

The sign was flipped to the dreaded "Closed" side and unfortunately, we had to search for another dessert option.
The Olive Oil Organic Cafe was Plan B. It's located in a strip mall just up the street from Star Dust Donuts. I tried going here before with TC during Spring Break but she fell asleep in the car and I didn't have the heart to wake her up. This time, I would try my luck to see if they had any of their homemade desserts I could take home for Bert.

The door was locked. As I peered in, I could see that the cafe was housed in a really big space that looked mainly to be the vitamins place. There was a girl in the very back counting cash at the register. I tried opening the door again to get her attention but she didn't look up (or maybe she didn't hear me).
So that option was also out. As we got back onto Palm Avenue, I looked longingly across the street...

Sigh. Maybe next time. I really wanted TORC to try their famed cinnamon rolls too.
Plan C was next and I knew the place would be open, K-Pasta.

I hadn't tried dessert there before and TORC was game to try one of their offerings. I believe they change up their desserts. One time they had a Banoffee pie. I was hopping they'd have it again, but alas, it was not a choice.

Looks like chalk is at every table now. It wasn't just for Mother's Day after all.

Their patio seating is great since it's more roomy and you can breathe fresh air.

More of that chalk...

Their chalkboard had two similar sounding desserts - the Chocolate Chess Pie with Walnuts and the Chewy Chocolate Pie with walnuts. When I asked the difference, the girl at the counter couldn't tell me. Hmmmm...In any case, TORC and I went with the Chocolate Chess Pie simply because we've never had Chess Pie anything before. The girl told us that the texture would be like a brownie, which kind of surprised me because for some reason, I thought or I read that chess pie's texture was more "moist" or "wet" inside.
Here it is...and it did look like a brownie with a nice crackly top. The crust was very very hard. This pie was not easy to cut into, but I liked the firm texture.

It was also full of chopped walnuts which I liked as well. It's always nice to have a bit of a crunch when having dessert.

This was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Normally, I don't get warm desserts with ice cream, but today I made that exception and it wasn't too bad. I still feel that hot and cold should not mix and because melty ice cream to me is not fun to eat.
I looked up some recipes for chocolate chess pie online and it seems easy enough. I may just try that for a future post. The only thing I need really is the ready made pie crust from Trader Joe's, which I love love love!
Previous visits to K-Pasta:
The most recent was Mother's Day. This post also links the two previous posts.
Sometime before vacation ends, I'll have to come back here for lunch and try their lasagna!


No comments:
Post a Comment