"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Foodcrawl with Bert - Star Dust Donuts

During the second week of my spring break, Bert was able to take a few days off, which was nice. We hardly ever get to go to lunch during a weekday because of our work schedules.  TC was happily ensconced in Archery Camp so we took advantage of these huge blocks of time. Wow, we had time to go places!

So, we headed down South and took Palm Avenue over to IB...

There ya go...

And as luck would have it, Star Dust Donuts was open! Yay! It was about 11 am. The other times we'd tried going were on Saturdays at 10 am and they were closed both times. Incidentally, this view of the sign is a slightly different angle than the one featured on the album cover of an acquaintance's newest cd, "West Zoopolis"(2010) - featuring John Czjakowski (guitars, sequencing, etc) and German wunder drummer Marco Minneman. I can't even describe the cd's musical style (just click that West Zoopolis link) but it's really cool to listen to.

Here;s the album cover:

Star Dust is owned by two brothers who took over the shop years ago from their parents. Here's one of them bagging our donuts (some photos are out of sequence). We saw that they had their famous cinnamon rolls there. I'd read the yelp reviews that sometimes people order dozens at a time. We just got three.

I ordered three cinammon rolls, one old fashioned, one chocolate frosted, and one glazed, plus a coffee for Bert.

They basically open when they feel like it but they have a loyal fanbase that will wait for them.

Their equipment as seen through the window...

Our half dozen donuts...wait, there's only five!

Here it is, the missing cinnamon roll, as bitten by Bert. We liked how these weren't those big ginormous Cinnabon sized rolls. This was petite compared to those but they tasted much better. I liked the size and the fact that there wasn't a thick slathering of frosting on the top. The frosting is actually embedded within and throughout the donut. I could see how people could get addicted to these. I don't even like cinnamon either. But yeah, people order dozens of these at a time, sometimes cockblocking people behind them in line who want the same thing, leaving them S.O.L.

I enjoyed this old fashioned...I realized that we had our dessert first before we had any actual food that morning!

Here's another view of them thar' donuts...

I also wanted to note that the donuts were bagged. The styrofoam box was ours. I put these in here so they could have more "space to breathe" as well as in preparation for any leftovers we were expecting later today.

Painted utility box at the gas station on the corner of Palm and Saturn. There are so many painted green boxes here. Being in IB, many of them had beach themes (dolphins, fish, palm trees, surfers), or flowers, or in this case, horses. There are more horse painted boxes near La Victoria Taco shop and on the gas station on corner of Coronado Ave near the 5 freeway.

We were going to head slightly north on the 5.

Who else had Star Dust Donuts?
Darlene from My Burning Kitchen went here back in 2009
and all of these yelp reviews.

Next stop, Main Street...but for what?

2 comments:

Dennis K. said...

This place has some character huh? :) Great looking donuts!

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - yes, it definitely has character. one of my friends said those guys are also known as the "donut nazi's". the guy wasn't mean or anything, just kind of gruff and matter of fact.