
The occasion? We were on our way up to Pasadena for foodblogger turned author, Marvin Gapulto's publication of "The Adobo Road", a Filipino cookbook.
Our first stop was a place I'd been to many times before, but Cathy hadn't. As you can see, NO LINE!
We also saw these signs on their windows:


I picked one of the the small Mango Breads. Later on that evening, I had a small piece; the mango flavor was within the folds of the rolled bread. It looked too bright, like it was artificial. I'm still waiting on Bert's opinion of this.

Here were our pastries before they got individually wrapped. We came prepared. Both of us brought coolers to put our purchases for the day.

Literally seconds within walking in and perusing the shelves for our pastries, the store FILLED UP! It was as if a bus dropped off a load of people here or something. This happened at around 9 am. Throughout the day, we seemed to get "lucky" by arriving before a huge rush without knowing it.
My view from our table outside, waiting for Cathy to get our drinks.

Our pastries yet again, but wrapped. Starting at 12 noon, Maple Brick Toast, Cathy's iced tea, a multigrain berry breadfor her husband, Cathy's tomato and cheese topped puff pastry (her breakfast), and my breakfast, a sausage and cheese topped multigrain bread (wasn't a fan of the bread), my sea salt iced coffee, the Mango bread, and lastly, a Blueberry danish.

So nice and flaky!

I was looking for their other hot dog bread but they didn't have it. One other thing I missed was the clamor of "Fresh Bread!" every five minutes. Maybe they don't do that anymore? It's been more than a year since my last

I got this because it was the only thing with meat that I wanted. I wasn't feeling it for the ham and cheese or tuna breads.

Missing also was the squid ink bread with garlic. I was hoping they'd have that but no.

Even though this was not what I was looking for, I still needed to have some sort of protein for my breakfast. It did it's job and would tide me over until our next snack...
Previous visits to 85C (in reverse order):
April 2012
March 2012
September 2011
July 2011
*Note - Marvin's blog is: burntlumpiablog.com. More on his cookbook here.
I haven't posted my book review yet since I plan to try out more recipes (which I already have, Mango tarts, an adaptation of his mini mango pies and Garlic Lemongrass Shrimp) before doing so.
We would pay a visit at another bakery just a few steps away...


7 comments:
Epic road trip/food crawl. I have so many good memories, including the guy from AAA...and so many more places to stop on the next trip North.
Thanks for driving too! I had so much fun seeing the parade route, the barn, and all of the historic places you pointed out.
Yeah, Mr. Hernandez was awesome!He saved the day!
I soooo wish I lived closer! Would love to go on a food crawl with you! If we plan a trip your way, we are totally going restaurant hopping!
HI C - I wish that as well. Forget Disneyland, we'll do food instead, haha!
I used to drive to that 85c to get stuff for sis b/c she craved their breads. But she felt the quality of their stuff has gone down so I no longer make the drive. And when I did go, they barely had anything left (it would usually be around 430p) and I never heard 'Fresh Bread!' being shouted :(
Now that I've had time to catch up, let me speak about the food. So fresh (it has to be since they constantly refill everything); the garlicy tomato cheese puff pastry was really good and the wheat cranberry stayed soft the next morning(did not need to be toasted). I will try the salted coffee next time; I had a choice of two different types of tea and it was good but not memorable.
hi faye - i was disappointed in not seeing the stuff that i normally get, but they had so many other goodies. i just couldn't get too much, especially things with cream since i didn't want it to spil.
hi cathy - glad you liked the breads/pastries. your tomato stick is a favorite of mine.
Post a Comment