"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, June 28, 2013

Return to the new Zion Market + Boba Bar

After a relatively short drive from La Jolla to Clairemont, the girls and I arrived at the still peaceful and not yet crowded Zion Market...

I'm sure that was a different story today, since it was the big "Grand Opening"..

The girls wanted to try something at a newly opened establishment within Zion while I was keen on getting a few grocery items...

I love how spacious everything is around here...

Shiny brand new carts, color coordinated with the green and orange color scheme!

TC was excited to see coconut flavored Ramune:

Feminine care anyone?

Remember this scene in "Me, Myself and Irene"?

"What's the matter? A little cheese on the taco?"     Ewwww!

These were pretty meaty:

Aaaaand we're back to the geoducks!  This one guy actually held one and was squeezing it, which made water squirt out...

I didn't think playing with the food like that was allowed!

Now that is a LOT of ginger! Family pack?

These reminded me of Little Debbie snack cakes, but Korean.

Ghana?  That seems vaguely racist to me.

More snack cakes.  The custard one kind of tastes like a Twinkie, but no cigar.  I read recently that Hostess will soon be up and running again and Twinkies will once again be in production!!! Yay



















We liked the festive balloon arches.  I thought these were cute because there was a balloon within a balloon! There were sample stands everywhere with Korean ladies urging customers to "Try, try!"!

The girls tried some of the melon pieces here. The lady at this table was super nice.

Check out the ominous sign.  Underneath "Do Not Eat Without Pay", it says, "We check camera and charge"!!!

This visit was two weeks ago. The Shisheido makeup store should be up and running now, but that day, it was still being set up.

I read from Kirbie and Cathy's posts (linked at the end) that the Boba Bar was up and running already. This is what the tweens wanted.

It was nice seeing the food court not so empty.

Their drinks:

TC had the honeydew slushie while Sherlock had the mango.  They cost about $4.25.

Later on, like the next day, TC told me that they didn't want to tell me that they did NOT like the boba in the slushies. TC said they were too "soft and squishy" and even "slimy" feeling. Really?  Well, that kinda sucked. The smoothies were enjoyed, but not the boba. Boo.

I picked up a few pastries from Paris Baguette for Bert and TC - a chocolate eclair (kind of small), a mocha almond loaft, and a sausage bread.

I made some more deconstructed crab wraps later that week, so I needed more masago.

The next day, I cooked up some Korean instant noodles (spicy flavor) and added these lobster balls, along with spinach, and sliced omelette...

I like the old hot dog bread I used to get at the in-house bakery at the old Zion. The hot dog was already cut up and the bread was shaped in a way that you could break off sections. I wasn't too thrilled with this.

A few weeks earlier, CAB had given me some choco-pies and custard pies straight from Korea, where her Mister was stationed.  I liked it so much that I wanted to get some more. I should have stuck with the Lotte brand of choco-pie because the chocolate didn't seem as thick and it seemed dry to me.

This was the full page ad in the SD UT's Wednesday Food Section touting the Grand Opening. So exciting!

One of the stores near the food court. This place sold makeup.  The girls thought the dude looked a little too feminine. If you look closely, he is wearing impeccably applied foundation and a luscious shade of lip gloss!

Gawd, that guy is so fresh faced. Makes me look like a old hag, ha ha! But no...I'm sure that's how some dudes roll in Korea. Especially those boy bands.

These two ladies recently visited Boba Bar and posted the same day (June 24th)!
Kirbie - Boba Bar and Desserts
Cathy - Boba Bar inside Zion Market

I would later visit Zion (and Ranch 99) with my neighbor where we did a Portuguese tart taste test...with mixed results.

I hope the Grand Opening is a big success and that the boba quality improves at the Boba Bar too.

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

I'm really liking the new location. SO many sample stations and none of the crowded aisles. Next time, I want to try a scoop of the 'natural' ice cream from Boba Bar...they are all working hard over there.

caninecologne said...

one of the sample stations was handing out these dumplings where the shape was a rectangle, the skin was rice paper, so it had that nice bubbly texture when fried. i was tempted to buy the frozen package but we had other errands to run that day. the lady working the sample booth said it was the most popular brand in south korea.