
Our
We noticed the specials board featuring eggplant...
Every booth has the drinks menu posted. You have your usual condiments: soy sauce, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce, Sriracha, Hoisin, and chili oil.

They updated their menu as well.

We are creatures of habit so we got the "usual".

Bert got the Pho #5 (rare steak and flank) and a cafe sua da, TC got #64 - Bun with short ribs, and I got #68 - Bun with grilled shrimp and spring rolls.
Their curries look good but that'll have to wait for another time.

As for the specials board, the owner (a kindly and super friendly older gentleman) recommended the appetizer - Grilled eggplant with LOTS of garlic in a "special" sauce.

He wasn't kiddig when he said it was garlicky! Bert and I loved it! The eggplant was thick cut and grilled with no oil. When I asked what else was in the sauce, he just smiled and said it was a "secret"! He was happy that we ordered it and liked it.
Bert's pho came with a small plate of bean sprouts, sliced jalapenos and limes, and wierdly, half of a lettuce leaf. When we asked what happened to the basil, he said they ran out. Then he came back and said he would give us some after all. He explained that they normally like to give the big leafy basil and the only kind left was small. I think they should still give it out because lettuce in pho doesn't really add any flavor like the basil does.

So, we got the basil after all.
Here's a closer look at that grilled garlicky eggplant...I know it looks a bit of a mess, but it was so delicious. The portion was just right for us two. TC, on the other hand, had a taste and decided she didn't like it.

Garlic breath!
Our dishes...

I like the combo of spring rolls and shrimp in my bun because I need to have something crunchy but I don't want to order a full size appetizer of the springrolls. This way, I get a little bit of what I like. They are generous with their shrimp here too. I believe I had about 7 or 8 pieces in there plus two sliced spring rolls.
It's great not having to drive all the way up to Convoy Street for Vietnamese food. Ahh, it will be nice to officially be on summer break now!


6 comments:
I usually get Bun but the toppings vary...if we don't order an appetizer, I'll get it with the spring roll so we can share. I hope the eggplant with garlic is available next time we go!
I hope it's available! Sometimes the owner will change it up. One time we went and everything on the board was squid related. He said if people like one or two of the specials, he puts it on the regular menu.
I thought no one, besides me, liked this place so it was fun to see this post ! (I was totally catching up on your blog last night !) But I love the fish filet pho here (I think that's what it's called) and the stuffed grape leaves. But OMG - those eggplants look spectacular!!! I wanted to seriously get in the car last night and drive over there to get some. But thanks for the heads up on it not being on the menu all the time - I'll have to call ahead next time and inquire. But jeez, I wants 'em sooo bad right now :(
Faye - Just to clarify, this is the Pho Convoy in Chula Vista, across from Southwestern College. You've been here before?
it's funny - many of the people who go to Pho Convoy are Filipino!
the eggplant was totally covered in that heavenly garlic sauce. so good! i want it again, aha ha.
I totally sniffled when I read your reply :( I thought this was the location in convoy. But I just checked and they're owned by the same person. My office mate just called the convoy location and the person there said, yes, same owner but they don't offer the eggplant garlic dish b/c it's different chef in Chula Vista location (*sniff sniff...teary eye*). No matter though! - I will be triumphant and make special trip to their CV location to try out this dish(office mate is speaking to them right about and she says the garlic eggplant is now on regular menu?!!')- yes!!
wow, the garlic egglant is now on the regular menu? Score!
it's a bit of a drive, but also on the same street (next to a dentist office and a car place) is the new location of homestyle hawaiian. in the same strip mall as pho convoy is JNC Pinoy Food Mart, my go-to place to get Filipino food if I dont' want to cook. There is also a new sushi place at the very end of the strip mall called 'isushi' - haven't eaten there yet so I can't attest whether they are good or not.
and one more recommendation - in the strip mall on the corner of H and Otay Lakes Road (where the taco bell is) is MJ's Yogurt & Deli Time. They serve Asian/Hawaiian/Mexican fusion there. Try the longaniza fries! OMG! OR their sisig tacos. Total greasebombs, but so good!
Post a Comment