"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Return to Babycakes

Our last stop for the night would be what we thought would be dessert at d bar.

Unfortunately, it was closed on Mondays!

Aaargh, so plan B and C was set in motion...


It was either going to be Chocolat Cremerie or Babycakes. It was too crowded at Chocolat and we didn't like their dessert options. We wanted to keep it simple so we went to Babycakes, a cupcake place, also on 5th Ave.

It was still light out so we hung out at their front patio.

MFH and I admired the rainbow layer cake! There was also a gigantic eclair next to that! Their cupcakes here are a bit oversized.

MFH's Guava and Mango cupcake with her Latte, and my iced coffee with what they call their Tuxedo cupcake, which was filled with raspberries.

The guys that work here are so nice and cool. They are also very cheerful and the owner always makes his rounds at the tables greeting customers. I like that personal touch.

The guava mango cupcake was a hit with everyone...

La Ley's Over the Top chocolate cupcake (recommended by the owner as his favorite), and Mr. TJ's Red Velvet cupcake.

Of the four, the Red Velvet and the Guava Mango were the faves. La Ley's looked like it was solid chocolate but it actually had yellow cake with chocolate chips inside. My choice seemed to be the least favorite (boo).  My friends and I had a blast that whole evening. What we thought would only last a couple of hours actually stretched into the evening.

The cupcakes here are all right. They were between $3.50 - $3.75, which I guess is a good deal considering they are larger than the cupcakes at other places like Heaven Sent Desserts, Sprinkles, and Adore.  I still think these are too large for one person to finish though, but that's just me. They do have a nice selection of flavors and the atmosphere here is always very chill.

Previous visit to Babycakes:
February 2013

As I thought I might be asked, I was requested to drive us back to Mr. TJ's house with his car since everyone else had a few more drinks than me.   It was so wierd driving an unfamiliar car, but I was able to bring everyone back in one piece.  Hopefully we will have another one of these outings this summer before we head back to work, everyone except MFH that is since she is now a retiree!

2 comments:

Faye said...

One of my best friends love Babycakes to death (enough so that she used them for her wedding 'cake' - everyone actually got an individual Babycake cupcake!). I personally think their cupcakes are ok. Have you tried their regular menu? I remember loving one of their paninis.

caninecologne said...

I saw their cakes on their online gallery - they look quite good but I am faithful to Jennywenny's cakes. Babycakes cupcakes are allright, but too oversized for me. I've only had the sweets there not the regular menu.