
When we were in Seafood City, we bumped into a friend who saw my basket full of pancit ingredients. She asked, "What's the occasion?" to which I replied, "None! I just feel like making it!", which was true...
Normally, pancit is made for parties and is not really "everyday food". Folks unfamiliar with Filipino food often see pancit and lumpia during parties. That's typical for special occasions but not for everyday. Well, today I wanted to buck those preconceived notions and just make it for the heck of it. A quick trip to Seafood City was need to pick up the fish cake, noodles, Chinese sausage, cabbage, and green beans. Everything else, I already had.

It makes everything so much more easier when all of the ingredients are sliced and prepped ahead of time. TC and Bert helped me out with the prep work.
The seasonings below. This time, I used oyster sauce along with soy sauce. You can also use patis (fish sauce) but I don't really like it in my pancit.

I presoaked my noodles in a plastic container filled with warm water.

I didn't have ready made chicken broth so I used this chicken base I found at Fresh & Easy. I switched to this brand after Amazon.com stopped carrying Knorr's Roasted Chicken base.

If I could do this again, I would have seasoned the pancit with more oyster sauce.

Aahhh, the joys of child labor! She really helped me out that day, chopping vegetables and standing guard over the wok, stirring, etc.

After dinner, TC got to choose the program for the evening, which was Animal Planet's, "Call of the Wildman". It's about this hillbilly dude from Kentucky who captures animal pests with his bare hands.

Here's a promo:
OMG, I can't believe she really likes this show! This, and "Gator Boys" and some other show where these dude build fancy fish tanks and another where these guys build treehouses. Heh?
"Ye ye ye ye ye! Live Action!"
Previous attempts that were posted:
October 2011 and again that same month. You can see the recipe at the first link. However, keep in mind that I do my pancit differently everytime depending on what ingredients I have or feel like having in my noodles.
The verdict? Bert, TC and our neighbors liked it, despite my perceived lack of seasoning.

This second version made a few days later was much much better. I didn't add chicken to it this time.
I still need to explore the recipes in Marvin's cookbook, so those will be forthcoming posts!


No comments:
Post a Comment