
Do I even remember what happened? Let me search the cobwebs in my mind and see...
That hot mess you saw in the first photo was the remains of the peanut butter and jelly donut from the much hyped Donut Bar where we started our day. At the time we went, it had only been open for a few days. We arrived at the ungodly hour of 9:30 am and almost all of their selection was gone dammit. For a recap of that visit, click here.
As we walked from the donut place to get back to the trolley, I admired some of these faded painted adverts on these old buildings downtown.

This was near the Civic Center where several operas were playing. I think they are trying to make their poster designs "cool" so as to attract a younger demographic.

Here's another old advert. It's funny seeing downtown from a pedestrian's perspective since 99.99% of the time, I just drive through downtown with loathing.

Our next stop dropped us off near the MoCA SD...

where we saw this nearby pizza place (don't remember the name). I pressed my face against the glass and drooled like Kodos and Kang. Just kidding. I did not, but I did stare longingly at those pizzas.

We walked by San Diego's beautiful Santa Fe train depot...

Astroboi and I once took the train to hell-Lay to visit N during our college days. The train station was also in a Luther Vandross video (forgot the song but it was a romantic ballad and featuring a man and woman meeting at the train station). Or was it Peabo Bryson? But I digress...

We took the good ole trolley up to Old Town...

I had a coupon to use for lunch, but first...

we took in a few of the sights. Although the schoolhouse was closed (this was San Diego's first schoolhouse), TC and KDD still enjoyed seeing this...

which was a poster listing all of the old fashioned "punishments" they used to give out.

The schoolhouse is a registered landmark too.

Below, a bust of Don Antonio Aguirre, an early San Diego merchant and ranchero (more info here and here)

It was in front of a touristy looking shop, but we noticed that the store also had a free museum within, so in we went.

I thought this shirt was funny, although it should really say, "Luke, soy tu padre" because the shirt literally says, "I am your father, son.".

TC and KDD immediately sat down and pressed the 'play' button on the tv so they could learn about Aguirre and his life an accomplishments in early San Diego.

In the small room were displays with artifacts for various excavations around old town and the house where Aguirre once lives. There was stuff like broken pottery, dolls, shoes, utensils, and drinking vessels.

Those boots were so tiny! I found the tiny doll parts interesting. The pieces were made of porcelain and were quite derelict.




The dolls' heads were on a rotating device which TC found creepy.

The Manila Galleon trade was still around when Don Antonio Aguirre was alive. In the second paragraph of the display board, it states that he imported goods from Manila (Philippines) and Canton (China).

Here was a Chinese Silk Shawl. In the Philippines, this type of shawl, often with meticulously embroidered flowers, is called "manton de Manila". They also wear these types of shawls in parts of Mexico where the Manila Galleons had ports (Veracruz and Acapulco).

All right, that was enough history for the day. The girls were already hungry after we walked around a bit more in Old Town...
Our lunch destination was actually just a few steps away from where we were dropped off earlier...


No comments:
Post a Comment