
Even though my birthday was over two weeks ago, ha ha! That didn't stop me from stretching out the weekends in April to be fun filled culinary adventures....
My very dear friends, the Educator GF's (D, KD and TORC) told me they would be taking me on a food crawl. I assumed it would be in San Diego, but was told Friday afternoon to be ready to leave my house at 8 am! Wut?
I'm not used to not knowing where we're going. In fact, when we've gone out for my birthday in the past, I've always dictated where we would go because I'm a control freak. There, I said it, as if you didn't already know it. My friends are not as anal as I am. Their agenda was, "out of San Diego" and trust the reliable recommendations from our driver, D.
Well, D suggested 85c in Irvine for breakfast....

How could I say no to that? I thought we'd be confronted with a super long line because it was 10 am by the time we got there.
Only three people out the door. No one directing traffic. They also don't have workers taking your tray from your hands while in line. Now, they wrap the pastries in plastic right at the counter. The line moved quite fast. While D, KD and I were in line, TORC stood in another line to order our iced Sea Salt Coffees.

This is the tray of stuff I bought to take home to Bert and TC - Blueberry sponge cake, some sort of mocha roll with nuts inside (one of Bert's favorites which wasn't there the last time), a pastry dotted with cream cheese, and a crumb topped bun filled with red beans and mochi.

Oooh, these are good, the brioche.

Rolled sponge cakes...I liked the look of that green one but it was probably green tea flavored and I don't really like green tea.

Cute bag!

The box that D got for all of us to share...two Hawaiian pizzas, a cream filled sponge cake edged with almonds (we didn't open it), one of two calamari buns, and one braided raisin pastry.

The cheese and herb topped pizza had bits of pineapple and what I think was chicken (not ham). The savory pastry hit the spot that morning as we were all super hungry from the drive.

Everyone enjoyed their iced sea salt coffees. We needed the caffeine as a pick me up. I forgot to shake mine so towards the end, it got really salty since it sunk to the bottom of the cup.

We loved the black squid ink bun which was still warm and buttery. There was garlic on top and garlicky cheese inside.

D also chose one of these cream cheese dotted pastries. This was also quite good. Loved the bigger sugar crystals on top of this one too.

Someone else had picked this out, this braided raisin twist. Not a big fan of this since it also had cinnamon in it, but it was enjoyed by everyone else.

This was only the first stop of our daylong adventure. Believe me, this crawl lasted twelve hours. That's half a day in each other's company. By night's end, we were still sane and still friends after all the time spent driving and eating, and eating and driving!
Were these pastries enough?
Hell no!
Up next...another bakery!


4 comments:
I love the contrast of the squid ink bun with the filling.
looks cool, doesn't it? it tasted good too! better fresh when you get it though.
Love the party hat!
it was in a gift shop in pasadena. i didn't buy it but thought it was funny!
Post a Comment