"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Eclipse Brunch revisited

Another one of my almost forgotten Spring Break posts...

We finally decided to make use of Bert's "winning ticket" from Eclipse...

In which he won a free brunch when we attended their Grand Opening several months earlier. Their Sweet & Savory Brunch changes weekly. Each item has some sort of sweet component to it, usually in the form of cocoa, chocolate, or vanilla.

You can choose 3 items for their brunch, just not two mains. At the old Eclipse, the brunch was $12 and has been upped to $16 here.

I had their Mocha infused with Sea Salt Caramel....

I forgot what coffee Bert had but it might have been the Double Dark.

My Mochae before I stirred it all up. I was a tiny bit bummed that it didn't come with housemade marshmallows like the last time I went.

Look how thick that foam is!  I could drink this everyday, but it's probably a good thing that I don't!

Our plates:

My Roasted Corn Tamal  which also had green chile, capers, brute cocoa and garnished with chives. I didn't like the capers in here and didn't care too much for the cocoa sauce. I must have overlooked that the tamal included a tomato tapenade which included the capers, which I find too salty and sour.

My salad was also not what I ordered and I didn't realize it until midway into our brunch. I remember ordering the Beet & Green Apple Salad. Instead, this was the Blue Cheese Pecan served with cranberries and a vanilla bean vinaigrette. You should know by know how much I hate blue cheese. This went untouched my me but enjoyed by Bert and TC instead.  I didn't think to ask them to replace this either.

I must have had a major brain fart that day. I ordered the panini with eggplant, not realizing (or reading) tdhat it included the dreaded tomato tapenade with capers.

I did not like this at all and ended up picking at Bert and TC's food.

TC's Brunch - Rosemary wedges with sea salt and burnt chili hollandaise sauce. This was pretty good!

Her panini was better than mine too - She had the Brown Sugar glazed pulled pork with swiss, pickle, and brute cocoa mole. I think the sandwich would have been better without the cocoa sauce. It was already sweet since it had brown sugar.

Bert's  Brunch: Eggs Benedict with vanilla bean salted avocado (he was avoiding meat), topped with chives and served with burnt chile hollandaise sauce.

His side was the Garlic Parmesa biscuits with orange peel vanilla bean butter. These were good when hot.

Our desserts  (not sure what happened to TC's, unless we ordered just two a la carte for her):

Bert really liked this - the Burnt Chili Caramel Apple Cobbler.

This was mine - the Frozen (rewritten on their menu as 'iced') Peanut Butter Mousse, topped with dark chocolate glaze, PB crumbs, and smoked sea salt! This was so good! The leftovers unfortunately melted in a gooey mass later that day, but we still enjoyed it after we stuck it back in the freezer.

The dessert was the best part of my brunch that day. At least there weren't any capers in it!!! That'll learn me! I have to read those menus much more carefully!

Previous visits to the new Eclipse:
February 2013 - At their Grand Opening with Bert and TC
March 2013 - Brunch with Cy and Darlene
April 2013 - Dessert with MFH

We would next be exploring the foot bridges of San Diego...

No comments: