
located across a place I detested in my youth, Yardage Town. As children, my mom would drag me and my siblings here to wander the fabric bolt filled aisles while she shopped for patterns to make our clothes. I haven't been there in years but the stale "fabric-y" smell of that place still reminds me of childhood...
But back to across the street....
right here. Right now.

This place has been here FOREVER.

It's no frills, which is how Bert wanted it. No lines or crowds yet. It was only 11:30 am too.

You figure out what you want and pay at the front register.

Their desserts are still displayed at the front, on ice.

Looks like prices went up slightly from my last visit here two years ago (that post linked at the end).


Oops, the ham got "flashed" out. Trust me when I say that this smelled really good!

I was trying to be sly because the worker kept walking back and forth, but I manage to snap a (blurry) shot of the hot links.

Even though he was blocking the heavenly hot links, I did admire his t-shirt!

Our entrees:

Bert's beef bbq (sauce was on the side) with two sides - baked beans and potato salad:

Bert and TC's corn bread which was enjoyed with honey packets.

TC's Ribs plate with coleslaw and mac salad. She liked the ribs better than anything. We both enjoyed Bert's potato salad as well.

I got the Hot Link sandwich and a side of green salad. And not, that is NOT soup there, that is a bowl of SAUCE! In comparing this hot link sandwich to the one I shared with Carol two years ago, it looks like the guy this time around was more generous with the portion!

I liked how thinly the sausage was slice. The skin had a nice "snap" to it too.

I ended up not really eating the bread, but just dipping the meat into the sauce.
My BIL and MIL joined us for lunch as well. This was BIL's beef ribs plate with fries and beans.

My MIL's chicken sandwich with a side of corn and corn bread (pictured above).

It never got crowded during our stay there and despite one particularly whining bratty kid (in the next partition over), we all enjoyed our lunch here.

The workers here are so very nice and take pride in what and how they serve the customers.

Rustic decor...

and one of three animal heads that gaze upon you as you eat their domesticated brethren.

So that was lunch. We went home afterwards to relax from our food coma and later on...
we trekked over to my parents' place to spend dinner with my side of the family. See that brown cooler with the dogs on it? Yeah, that's over 40 years old. My mom hates throwing things away.

Here's some of that deconstructed Krab meat stuff I made with nori squares (not shown).

My mom made pancit with canton noodles this time. She normally uses bihon. I actually thought these noodles were miki because they were thinner and flatter, but they were canton. Unlike those Filipino take out places, my mom's pancit has a lot of protein in it. No cabbage fillers here. She includes chicken, fish cake, Chinese sausage (Kam Yen Jang brand), and shrimp. That's the way she rolls.

My dad's inner baker has been released recently. These are savory empanadas. He also made fruit pie turnovers (not pictured).

To the delight of the kids, their favorite fried chicken wings were also featured. This was taken right before a fresh batch was dumped over it. My parents love their deep fat fryer.

The lone vegetable dish - Chinese long beans with pork, shrimp, onions, and tomatoes.

This was honey shrimp (what, no walnuts?) that my mom ordered from a local Chinese joint. I didn't like this too much. It was too "fried".

It was a decent spread. Some of the kids enjoyed what I brought because they got to fill and creat their own wraps.

Lastly, a dessert/drink that my mom made. It's filled with different types of cubed gelatin, coconut milk, condensed milk, and ice cubes. It's really refreshing

It was nice not having to go out to a crowded restaurant for lunch. It was also great spending time with the family and seeing my nephews (there are five) and the baby niece (7 months old).
Previous visit to the Barbecue Pit
July 2011 during the Epic BBQ Crawl
The Barbecue Pit
920 East Plaza Blvd
National City, CA 91950
(619) 477-2244
www.thebarbecuepitrestaurant.com
By hook or by crook, I will get my posts out and be caught up...eventually!


4 comments:
What's your take on the split pea and ham soup (saw it in your pic)? I'm not a huge fan of that soup so curious if you like it.
I WANT your mom's version of the pancit! More protein and less noodles - huhhh?!!! I wish more places sold her version :(
Does your dad make his own empanada dough? Looks soo good!
I've not had the split pea and ham soup. I don't really like the look and flavor of it either.
My mom hasn't made pancit with these kinds of noodles in a long long time. I was surprised actually. I actually prefer her bihon. That's the kind I like and can actually replicate.
Yes, my dad makes his own dough (he was a former Navy cook when he first joined the USN). Not sure what he did though. But the empanadas were baked, not fried. Boo, ha ha.
So nice to see one of the 'other' Barbecue Pits having the same decor and prices as 'mine'. The El Cajon location is always a regular stop on a rainy February day for me and a friend; the soups are good. I love seeing your family buffets.
i like the animal heads looking at us, ha ha.
Post a Comment