"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Return to Sidecar Doughnuts

This past weekend, I thought it would be fun to combine a mini food/road trip with a birthday party we were going to attend...

Bright and early it was as we drove out from San Diego, passing by the now de-commissioned "tits"  San Onofre Nuclear facility and up to the OC...


Earlier this month, Cathy from mmm-yoso and I did a mini roadtrip of our own while en route to a book signing in Pasadena (I'm still not done with those posts yet).  I wanted to revisit a couple of those spots, made better with the inclusion of Bert and TC, who ended up sleeping nearly the whole trip up. It must have been too early for her, poor kid.

Having a Fast Pass is good...the 73 is hardly ever crowded.

Haha, here's that fleabag motel, the Ali Baba again...

Even though my previoust post on this place had a tiny bit of snark, there was some truth that these donuts were of a better quality than most corner store donut shops. There was no line out the door like last time and the music this time was much much better (more on that in a few)...

These were the flavors that day. Apparently, the one Bert chose was a special item that was only avaiable that week, the Monte Cristo. TC chose what she always chooses, a Twist, but this time, with Madagascar Vanilla (oh, well then), while I was boring and got the same thing I got last time.

See the Asian dude in the mirror?  He was in front of us in line. A young (25+'ish) guy who probably has a lot of disposable income. He bought a dozen donuts and the grand total was $39.75 (which I'm sure includes the price of the long box it came in)! Say what? Good for him and his office mates. Someone was going to be enjoying those maple bacon and triple chocolate calorie bombs!

The Monte Cristo station set up with the ham slices and cheese...the worker stepped away when I was fumbling for my camera.

While this Pineapple Upside down donut looked good, I remained steadfastly loyal to my huckleberry fixation.

The Strawberry Shortcake donuts were also quite tempting...

Back to the music. None of this wimpy Joni Mitchell! This time, it was The Beatles! The album featured is popularly known as "The Blue Album", but is really a compilation of the Beatles' hits, entitled, "1967-1970" . It was released as a companion to "The Red Album" (real name, "1962-1966"). both of which were released in 1973 and produced by their former manager Allan Klein. The mom of my former best friend in high school owned copies of both albums, along with my good friend N (an audiophile and record collector); Bert's parents had the blue one.

All I can say is...."Great choice!"! One of their more surreal hits was filling the store with it's wierdly fanciful lyrics, the classic, "I am the Walrus"....

It was the tail end of song, which was followed by the upbeat, "Hello Goodbye" (one of my favorite later period Beatles songs).  These songs were one side 2 of the album.  Yes, young folks out there. Albums had TWO sides and you had to manually flip the record to hear the songs on each side.

Below, one of three small paper bags which held our donutty treats. To be fair, the gal asked me if I wanted a box or the bags.

Our choices for that morning. The monetary damage? It was $8.25. For three.

Bert's Monte Cristo below ($3.75), which he really enjoyed. He thought it could have have used a little more ham in it. The ham, cheese, and raspberry jelly were a nice mix of savory, creamy, and sweet.  TC's Vanilla Twist ($1.50, ouch!) was also a hit. She said it smelled just like vanilla ice cream  (it did!). Her donut, as well as mine, had a nice aroma due to the quality ingredients they used.

My Huckleberry was the second most expensive, at $3. I just love the glaze with real huckleberries in it.  The innards are just as good!

A small slice was enjoyed for the time being. The rest was saved for later...

Why is that you may wonder? We still had another donut joint to hit up later! Had to save some room!

By the way, now that I've been here twice, that should do it for me. No more hipster prices.

Previous visit to Sidecar Doughnuts:
"Hipster Doughnuts at Sidecar" - June 2012

This donuts in this post were actually eaten AFTER the next post, which was the Aussie pie place next door. That post is next!

5 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

Ha! I took The Mister back here also...the doughnuts are very good quality, but I don't like to wait in long lines and am so glad we figured how to avoid the crowds. I wonder if they change or turn the album or have it play over and over on one side all day (as I recall, one side is around 30 minutes; that's how I'd time myself kneading bread...one side of "Dark Side of the Moon"...)

Mary said...

Ouch, steep donut prices! We went to Randy's Donuts again last week and got the most amazing cream filled maple bar and it just a $1.10 hehe. I'm sure I would still like to come here sometime. Do they usually have the same donuts, or do they change the menu every day like Donut Bar?

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - i hate long lines as well. crowds suck.

they do change the album. i walked in again before we left to get some extra napkins and noticed that the beatles album was no longer propped up. someting else was playing, but that album wasn't on display. ha ha, "Dark Side..."... that is one trippy album!

hi mary - yeah i know. i think this 2nd visit is the last visit for us. Randy's is awesome! i want to go there again and do another family photo!!!!!!!!!!

as for the selection at sidecar, they have their standards available everyday (huckleberry, vanilla, chocolate, etc) in addition to rotating certain flavors every week. it is listed on their site. they also have at least one savory donut too.

Janice D. said...

That vanilla twisty and the huckleberry donut looks SOOOO good - I'll make a trip out just for those two!

caninecologne said...

hi janice, the huckleberry is really good, but not $3 good. that's a donut splurge for me. you should check it out - they rotate their flavors weekly.