
There were just too many stops along the way, but boy, were they worth it. We just had to enjoy the beautiful day in Pasadena...
While walking to our destination, we noticed one of these markers which are scattered throughout Old Pasadena.

We actually passed up the store and didn't realize we walked by it untilwe looked up...

How could we not have seen it?

Especially when they had these tempting morsels beckoning passers by...

Macaron trees of every color and flavor imaginable (it seemed)...

As you can see, it's pretty small inside. The decor is minimal, the better to showcase the macarons.

Their flavors, not all are featured everyday though.

Their prices. They were $1.75, but were smaller than the ones we bought at Euro Pane.

A look at some of their macs. I really liked the display the macs were resting on. It was like a "stepped wave" (for a better photo, please see the link to the gastronomer's post at the end)...


I wanted to get some flavors that I didn't choose from Bon Epi. Ooh, what is that circular box in the corner?

Wow, this is the circular gift box which is going for $118 bones!!! Shit, I want that, ha ha. In my dreams.

No, I only got six. Cathy got 2 of them. I didn't think of taking a shot before the worker entombed my precious macs in this cute little box, which would soon be mangled before the end of the day.

As Pee Wee Herman used to say, "Take a picture! It'll last longer!". He was so right.

Later on, at home, I was disheartened and upset at myself because the box was wet at the bottom. I had laid it on top in my cooler and the bagged ice melted, pooling at the bottom of the box. I should have put a barrier so that the box didn't lie directly on top of the ice bag.
The macs weren't completely destroyed though. Only a few bits of each mac were wet. No matter, I still ate it! The non-wet parts of the mac were perfectly light and feathery crisp. The ganache fillings were intensely flavored.

Above, the flavors were (starting at 10 o'clock): Caribbean Chocolate, Violet, Coconut, Sweet Wedding Almond, Sea Salt Caramel, and Mango.

The macs were rso good. We all shared a bite of each mac. My least favorite was the Violet (I was attracted to the color, but I should have stayed away from the floral flavor). My favorite was the coconut becuase it had bits of coconut embedded on the mac shell.

'Lette Macarons used to be known as Paulette Macarons, but changed their name due to a lawsuit (don't know the details, but that's what I saw in online blurbs).
Who else went to 'Lette Macarons?
The Food Gastronomer from gastronomyblog - September 2011
Reviews
"Paulette Macarons Drops the Pau - Opening in Pasadena", LA Eater, May 2011
Glass of Win - July 2011
Woo! Food, also in July 2011
'Lette Macarons
14. S. Fair Oaks Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105
(626) 793-5551
lettemacarons.com
I think Cathy now has a new obsession, heh heh.
Just up the block was another sweets shop, so off we went!


5 comments:
So many macarons on this trip! I recall reading Gastronomer's post previously. Love the giant circular container one.
I went to the Lette's in Beverly Hills and I love their selection. Funny story: a woman who was also in the shop with me couldn't be convinced to try a macarons (she had never tried one) because she had worked out that morning but couldn't afford the 80 calories. What a sad life.
hi kirbie - yes, and it was worth it, ha ha!!!! i thought of you while we were there. you and mr. k should check it out next time you are up in the area.
hi darlene - i like that they have seasonal flavors too. i remember reading that they had lychee but didn't see them that day. i think brodard's in garden grove has lychee and taro.
so sad about the woman who wouldn't even eat ONE macaron. OMG, i can eat 3 or 4 in one sitting. geez, some people can't even live a little, huh.
I think that by virtue of the ~14 hour day of driving, eating, purchasing and researching of international baked goods, we can call ourselves "Professionals", with the subset of "macaron". The day wasn't over and the highlight of meeting Marvin hadn't yet happened! I got the coconut and almond here and like the coconut a bit more.
hi cathy - i like the sound of that, 'professionals'! :)
their coconut was really good!
we have to try the macs at Brodard's. they have "Asian" flavors and they are less expensive too!
Post a Comment