
Now it's time for the food!
I was already hungry before 11 am (when most of the food stands opened), but Roxie's was already open, so that is what Bert and I started off with.

We liked the artichoke sandwich so much last year that we got it again this year.
And the cream puffs? No more of those different colored multi cream puff plates! I wanted one that was fresh this time!

The artichoke sandwich ($9.50) is huge! It is served warm and is chockfull of artichoke hearts, tomatoes, olives, sprouts, mayo, and probably a few other ingredients I can't remember.

This was also served with a side salad with ranch dressing on the side (my request). I thought this would be a nice and healthy way to start off our day. Of course, this was all negated by all the junk we ate later that day, ha ha. But really, this is a good deal; we really enjoyed this.

Bert also got cheesy bacon bombs ($6.50/yeesh) at the Bacon A-Fair booth.

These were battered and fried piecesof cheese wrapped in bacon...

Only four pieces, so we each had one. I could have had more, but one was good enough!

We also shared a fresh cream puff!

This was a bit messy to eat but again, it was enjoyed by all. The real whipped cream was so good!
We walked off our calories by exploring other parts of the fair, such as the rides. We were surprised to see a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor at the fair! I don't remember this being here before. I remember going to the old Farrell's in Chula Vista (no longer there) in high school for birthday parties.

TC kept going on and on about wanting to try this...

The first one...
which can be found at the Infield (near the kiddie rides) at the Candyland booth.

Be careful what you wish for TC!

This was $5 for a bag of sweet meaty sugar fluff! Both TC and KDD weren't fond of this but Bert and I thought it was okay.

KDD ended up buying regular tri colored cotton candy for her and TC to share since the bacon version wasn't doing it for them. This was better received.

By this time, it was mega crowded at the Fair! All the food booths were up and running and grilling away, such as the Juicy's booth.

TC got a corn dog with fries while KDD had a fish taco.

TC thought the batter was way too thick. Her fries were also too salty.

As mentioned in Cathy's SD Fair post, in the Paddock area is "17 Hands", a Mexican restaurant with very decent taco prices! When we peeked in, hardly anyone was in there. They also serve beer there (regular beers not craft).

Maybe next year, we will try this place out to avoid the crowds!

Turns out we tried these fried cheese curds back in 2010 (after perusing previous posts). This tasted much better. The curds squeaked when they were chewed. We also had this with bbq sauce instead of being plain. OMG, fried food overload today and we weren't even done!

While the girls were petting the animals, Bert went off in search of his late lunch at the booth outside of the Agrifair.

Overpriced but Bert liked it! The meat was tender but he would have preferred a tangier sauce.

Bert's Frozen Strawberry Lemonade - very refreshing!

Near the Toyota display (near the clock tower) was this seafood booth:

Their offerings:

Fried clams ($7.75) - This was my craving that day, but I do wish the clam strips were bigger. Crunchy clammy goodness.

Our last "hurrah" before heading back into craptastic traffic. We left at 5:30, got to the parking lot at 6:00, to the freeway by 6:25'ish and home by 7:45 pm! Whaaaaat!?!

The red velvet funnel cake comes with cream cheese frosting, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and powdered sugar.

The year before we got this with just powdered sugar. Man, this was a gooey mess but it sure was good!

We were excited because we got to ride THIS bus! Yeah!

We got to try out everything we wanted. We had a mix of healthy and fried foods and walked until our feet were sore! Overall, a very fun experience! TC was also happy that she got to spend the day with a friend. Amazingly enough, they did not want to spend any money to go on rides (which saved a lot!) because they weren't interested. Rides are.75 a ticket and each ride is about 6 tickets! Yikes!
There's still time to check out the Fair which closes on July 4th.
Previous SD Fair food posts:
2010
2011
2012
Until next year!


8 comments:
I live vicariously through you this year since I didn't have actual fair food this year! Man, I wanted those cheese curds but I was so full, I just couldn't do it! The strawberry lemonade looks so good with the strawberries floating on top. There's nothing like a fresh cream puff, too! At Roxy's I always like to get the mushrooms there. I tried the same mushrooms as their actual restaurant and it was just not the same! I totally agree with TC on that bacon cotton candy - uber gross!
hi Mary, we already had Father's Day plans which was the same day as the Bacon Fest. I think we had the fried mushrooms at Roxie's last year. They were on a stick I believe.
Yeah, after a few tastes of that bacon cotton candy, that was it for me. last year, we tried a bacon flavored soda (forgot what brand) but it was in canada. it was terrible, but bert liked it.he's easy to please.
Oh my goodness, great round-up CC! I still need to make my way over to the fair - never been to any state or county fairs before! I'll avoid the bacon cotton candy, though :P
Yay! You and S should totally go to the SD Fair! There's a lot of good (I mean, BAD) eats there, haha!
We still haven't made our second visit (yet), but there's a week left. Still planning what we should eat this time; Roxys is just wonderful, cream puff is a must and there must be something else to try. The photo of TC and bacon cotton candy is priceless! (Most of the people inside 17 Hands were wearing "Game's On!" collared shirts- the people who work the Fair; I would think it is more crowded for the $5 Beer+ Taco Happy Hour). Very nice post.
Haha - yeah, she did NOT like that bacon cotton candy AT ALL!!!! At least Bert enjoyed it.
Looking forward to your follow up Fair post. :)
There is a coupon for 17 Hands in the "Passport to Savings| booklet for the 2014 Fair. It may be more crowded...or not. I just like to figure out where the people who work at the Fair eat. There is a corner at the West end of the Grandstand, with the rides and carnival games (just past the back of the Woodworking/Minerals and Gems) where the workers were eating during the setup of rides. If that is still there, I am thinking it will be a good deal.
hi cathy - we saw the 17 Hands place again but didn't eat there. we already had the sandwich. will be working on my 2014 Fab Fair posts soon. thanks for the coupon booklet as well. handy.
Post a Comment