"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, May 02, 2016

Hammond's, Point Loma

A couple of days ago, Astroboi and I went out for breakfast, donuts and coffee.

Our day culminated in a visit to the grand opening of the newest Hammond's Ice Cream...

located in the same stripmall with Red Lobster and Phil's BBQ.   The main reason for our visit was stated on the sign, namely the word "FREE".  Buy one get one applied to any size ice cream as well as their flights.

The Point Loma location is the largest of the three with a similar color scheme to the North Park location (mint green). They also have some of the same design elements, namely vintage ice cream scoopers as decor.


Their menu board:


So many great flavors today. It wasn't that busy when we arrived that afternoon, but we noticed that crowds would come in waves.



We both got two flights of three. The server, perhaps trying to be helpful (but ended up being annoying), offered to put all six of our cones in one holdr. I told him politely, "No thanks". Then he repeated that he could put all six in one and again, I said, "No" but a little more firmly this time. WTF man.  I mean, we wanted separate ones. Cripes. Will it hurt that much to wash one more cone holder?

Plus, I wanted to take photos with two separate holders.  Dude...

Our flight trios:

Astroboi's Thai Tea, white chocolate macademia, chocolate PB Oreo:

Mine - Lychee, and in honor of Prince, raspberry sorbet (get it!), and black sesame (a new flavor!):

Astroboi really liked the white chocolate macadamia and Thai tea; the chocolate PB Oreo, not so much (but I liked it).  Of my three choices, I liked them all, but the lychee was especially nice.

Another Prince video throwback - "When You were Mine" (Live at First Avenue, a club in Minneapolis, MN). This New Wave'ish song is the second track on his third album, "Dirty Mind" (1980) It was remade by Cyndi Lauper (I did NOT like her version to be honest).

This song was heard as a short snippet on the show "New Girl" when Prince made a cameo appearance two years ago.

There is a second Hammonds location in PB; you may read about Faye's visit here.

Previous visit to the original Hammonds:
August 2015

My fun & fabulous day with Astroboi:
Brothers Family Restaurant
Triple Toroid Attack - Donut Panic, Heavenly Donuts + Papa's Donuts
Duet Coffee
Scenes from Kobey's Swap Meet and of course, this last post.

His birthday is later this month so we will hopefully go out again soon!

I'll have to revisit Hammonds with Bert and TC during summer break. The downside of this parking lot is that is is crowded no thanks to Phil's BBQ (we parked in the back and so can you!).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Black sesame sounds interesting. I haven't had that in ice cream before. That is strange the server didn't want to serve the 3 cones in a sep holder. The picture of the flights are so pretty though. Was the BOGO deal only for that one day?

caninecologne said...

Matcha Love,which is now gone also had the black sesame flavor.I never got to try twit remember seeing it on Kirbies blog. It's a nice but strong flavor.

The BOGO was probably only for their grand opening day.

The guy was so clueless. Hello, the customer is always right, wtf. Us, I wanted to photograph my cones and his separately.