
for my belated birthday crawl, this time starting off in the neighborhood of Allied Gardens...

Breakfast at Brothers Family Restaurant was in order...
Neither of us had been here before and I was curious about their Chicken Fried Steak (my latest breakfast obsession). Protected by Astroboi's manly plaid umbrella (which he said was a gift from his sister; it was "free" with purchase of a cologne or something), we headed over to the eatery. There were about six or eight people ahead of us in line, but it moved quickly and we were seated within minutes of our arrival.


It's pretty big inside with an extra banquet room taking up one half of the restaurant's space. The decor is nothing much, but then, decor is secondary to the food for me. We both knew it was regular American diner/comfort/food so there were no expectations of gourmet anything here, which was fine with me. Our server was so very nice and honored my coupon without question. Most of those coupons stipulate that ID be shown but never once was I asked to furnish my ID as proof of my birthday month. Very trusting!

Oooh, free creamers for Bert!

Their menu:


Astroboi's scramble with ham, sausage, cheese, and gravy. His side was sourdough bread with hash browns (the crust was nice, crisp and golden)...

He didn't like this since he felt the sausage tasted "off". I tried a piece and realized that they used maple sausage. Perhaps the dish might have been better if they used regular sausage instead of maple. The ham, he felt, was also kind of salty. It tasted okay to me. What I liked best about his breakfast were the awesome hash browns because of the crisp crust!
As for me, you guessed it. I'm becoming rather predictable, eh.
It was the CFS again with scrambled egg, sourdough toast and this time, country potatoes. The gravy was on the bland side but the CFS underneath was pretty good. I liked that the crust remained crisp underneath the gravy. The portion was just right (not too big). They didn't go overboard on the amount of gravy either, like at Antique Row Cafe (but I did like their gravy better).



This was a good "test run" at this restaurant. I think Astroboi and his BF would revisit this place sooner than me since they live in the general area (over in East Mission Valley) as opposed to my longer trek from CV.
Because it rained slightly this morning, Astroboi and I were reminded of this Prince song, "Seventeen Days" (this version is live not the studio rendition). This song was the B-side to Prince's single, "When Doves Cry" (which we both have the original 45's)
"Let the rain come down...let the rain come down, let the rain come down down"
Brothers Family Restaurant
5150 Waring Road
San Diego, CA 92120
(619) 287-0880
www.brothersalliedgardens.
Astroboi and I had a fab time catching up over breakfast (as well as the rest of the morning). Whether we had breakfast at a fancy hipster place or a shitty hole in the wall, we would've had a good time no matter what. In addition, our foray into these neighborhoods never ventured was fun, especially since we missed exits and had to navigate through unfamiliar territory. Our next stop would be a donut place in La Mesa...


No comments:
Post a Comment