"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, May 30, 2016

Et Voila! French Bistro + food gifts from Japan!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with my good friend Kirbie...

For a change of pace, we did brunch at a newly opened French bistro called Et Voila! (the exlamation mark is part of their name)

It's a few doors down from Hawthorn Coffee (which we both like). They've been open for several weeks now and took over the space which used to be a small market.

As you walk in, you are greeted by the map of Paris on your left and a beautiful bar on the right...




Their floor tiles are also quite beautiful.

Yes, that's my purple umbrella because it was sprinkling that very morning.

Despite us being the very first customers of the day, we were seated in the very back corner. I was hoping closer to the front for better lighting, but it still worked out.


Their brunch menu + dessert (everything was available except the souffle which is only offered during dinner time):

I actually got a drink that morning, the Bubbling Guava (champagne with guava puree)...

We loved their water carafe! My drink was light and refreshing. You can see the real guava puree at the bottom of the flute...

Our two brunch entrees:

Kirbie's crab omelet with a side salad. Look how big this thing is. It was totally stuffed with crab too and tasted quite nice (she let me have a bite).

My Tartine du Jour (fig bread with fresh mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, mushrooms and prosciutto; also with a side salad).


I was pleasantly surprised to see these type of mushrooms in here! I was expecting regular button mushroom. I bought these mushrooms the other day at Ranch 99 during my outing with Cathy and the Mister. Botttom line, the portion was just right for a light meal.

For dessert, we shared the Paris Brest. I've only had it once, at Le Parfait Paris for my birthday food crawl with the Educator GF's. I know they have it at the new location in Liberty Public Market as well.  I was surprised to see that the Paris Brest came as a tiny pair, rather than one big pastry.  This was actually convenient. We could each have one but both pieces were not even in size. One was noticably bigger than the other.  Well, at least you know they are hand made, I guess.

Paris Brest is a classic French dessert using choux pastry as the shell. It is filled with praline cream and in this case,  is served with a small container of chocolate ganache.



This was a lovely end to our meal here at Et Voila.

Kirbie was also kind enough to gift me some treats from her recent trip from Japan. Inside the cute gift bag were unique candies and snacks.


There was a bag of waffle cut kim chee flavored chips, a box of Olive Basil pretz (which I saw at Tokyo Central & Main the other day), cream flavored Pocky and three types of Japanese Kit Kat (Strawberry Maple, Strawerry and Red Bean) and two banana shaped cakes (the giraffe print was caramel flavor; the other was regular banana). She froze those banana cakes to give as gifts.

We haven't eaten the cakes or chips yet but have tried the candies. I liked the strawberry Kit Kats  very much. The red bean flavor was quite strong. You have to really like red bean to like this flavor of Kit Kat.

TC was so excited to see this. She has seen these little snack cakes on her friends' IG and Snapchats (she has several friends who recently moved to Japan).  She told me not to open it yet until she "films" it, ha ha.

So currently, these little cakes are in the freezer so we can enjoy it later (meaning soon, ha ha)

Articles:
"Et Voila! French bistro headed to Adams Avenue" Eater SD, July 2015 ( the article shows an old photo of the Old Fiesta Market but says that the 4th location of Tajima was supposed to go there; but that obviously didn't happen).

Et Voila! French Bistro
3015 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 209-7759

etvoilabistro.com/fb page + reviews from you know where

I would like to come back for dinner this summer with Bert and try their other menu items. Our servers were super nice and efficient. The manager/owner was making his rounds with the customers making sure everything was okay. By the time we left, the restaurant was getting filled up. I'm glad that we went early before the crowds arrived.

4 comments:

Kirbie said...

I'm so glad you suggested this place! I loved having brunch here with you. I need to come back and try that pastry basket...

caninecologne said...

It is always nice trying new places with you Kirbie. Let me know how that pastry basket is like. I'm curious myself.

Lynn @ Oh-So Yummy said...

that Paris Brest looks good. is there anyplace you've tried it that you would recommend? seriously, i need to get a midnight snack =P

caninecologne said...

The one I had at Le Parfait Paris (which is referenced and linked in this post) was better (and bigger). It's offered both at their downtown and Liberty Station locations. This was a nice rendition but I would need to try other versions. I don't know of other places in SD that make this.