"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, May 23, 2016

Bayshore Bikeway, Imperial Beach

A couple of months ago, Bert and I wanted to kill some time and explore this park we always pass by every week...

It's in IB right next to the bay and has a 20+ mile bike path that starts near downtown San Diego and ends in Coronado.  Above, you can see an Osprey Nest platform.

And here is the future Bikeway Village...We found some parking in the neighborhood during the "Golden Hour"...

In the distance you can see Mount Miguel as well as the salt piles (off the Palomar St. exit).

The other side of that building...This complex will be a place where cyclists can have a cup of coffee, sit down and relax, conduct maintenance on their bikes, etc.  It's a really cool idea and I'm sure it will be much used once the project is completed.

There is a pathway for pedestrians and also for cyclists. There were other folks out walking their canine friends that early evening.

We heard lots of birds calls and other than their sounds, it was really quite peaceful out here.

Below, the Otay River...


We later crossed the red bridge to get a better view of the Otay River

We even saw a white heron that afternoon!

Along the walkway were educational placards about local wildlife...

The sun was going to set soon...

Closeup of the South Bay Salt Works across the bay (it's located at the end of Palomar Ave near the I-5).



More great views...

We saw this stencil several times along the pathway. Pretty wildflowers were also in bloom.





View from the bridge slat looking west.

One of these days we will bike this.


As a native San Diegan, I can say that I've been to most of the major tourist attractions (the Zoo, the beaches, Coronado, Old Town, Julian, downtown SD to name a few) , but it's the hidden neighborhood gems like this make exploring my hometown so much fun.

Articles/blurbs:
"Imperial Beach to offer 'Bikeway Village' rest area on Bayshore Bikeway" Jan. 24 2016

Bayshore Bikeway SanDiegoCoastLife, traillink.

and the site for the upcoming, Bikeway Village (+ more info here

Bayshore Bikeway (in IB)
12th and Boulevard
Imperial Beach, CA 91932

+ reviews from tripadvisor

We'll have to check this place out in the early morning this summer. It would be fun to bike this, although I don't think I could do the whole 20 mile route.

No comments: