"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Eaton Canyon Nature Center

The Norton Simon museum wasn't open yet so to kill time...

so to kill time, we thought we'd check out a nearby nature center...

which is near the foothills of the imposing San Gabriel Mountains...

The Eaton Canyon Nature center is also a free place to visit which is a plus in my book..

We knew there was a small nature center (which hopefully had a restroom) and trails to the mountains and even a waterfall (which depending on which reviews you read, either encourage or caution hikers to do it). We were only going to check out the nature center rather than do the hike (plus I wasn't dressed for it/didn't have the proper shoes).




I guess maybe they have this sign because it was a problem in the past?  Yikes. Perhaps the homeless had been using the facilities or something.

The nature center exhibits were informative about the types of wildlife (animals plus plants) in the area including taxidermied bobcats, deer and even raccoons. There was also (not seen here) a baby bear.


There was a trail that led east where we saw some groups of people heading to...


It would hae been cool to have seen what else was out there but maybe for a future visit.

Eaton Canyon Nature Center
1750 N. Altadena Dr.
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 398-5420

www.ecnca.org + reviews from that four lettered site

It was funny after taking that last photo. There was a group of school kids (maybe middle school age) and a girl was telling her friends, "I don't care how hot it is, I am so DONE with this!" She had some sassiness in her.  She was complaining that it was hot and why do they have to wear long pants and covered shoes and so on.  Nevertheless, she didn't stop walking and the group kept going. I wonder if they ended up doing a long hike or something because it was pretty damn hot by this time of day.

By this time, we were hungry so being a Friday during Lent, went to a seafood place I'd read about...That place next!

No comments: