"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lunch @ Sea 180 Coastal Tavern

Yesterday we had an off campus planning meeting for our department...

Lunch was here, at Pier South in Imperial Beach...

at their in-house restaurant, Pier 180, which I'd been to before but only for dessert and appetizers and drinks. This time, I, along with my co-workers would have actual food.


Although the sky was a bit on the gray side, we chose to be seated outside so we could enjoy the view...

Much better than being inside, don't you think?

Imperial Beach pier is one of my favorites. The structure at the end of the pier is the Tin Fish restaurant.

This was a picture perfect San Diego day...

Their menu:

Several of the co-workers had mango iced tea which was already sweetened...

One co-worker chose to have the fried calamari appetizer as her lunch. It came with a char grilled lemon, a grilled jalapeno and a smoky aioli dip. Her squid was a mix of rings and tentacles; both types of pieces were generously sized as well.

My other co-worker chose the Kobe TJ Hot Dog (a bacon wrapped kobe beef frank which was topped with kimchee). Her entree, along with mine and the others, came with garlic herb fries, which were quite excellent.

Mr. TJ's Grilled Chicken Sandwich which came with the aforementioned fries plus a tangy Asian slaw which he liked.

Three other co-workers (including La Ley) ordered the Fish and Chips. The fish portions and fries were served in a "tipped over" mini bucket on top of the rectangular plate. Our waiter recommended these over the crabcakes because he felt that the fish portions were meatier and a better value.

I splurged and went with the Lobster Roll ($19.95/what!).  It came with salad (featuring fried leek, which was misspelled as "leaks" on their menu, WTF, arugula, frisee and avocado) and the delicious fries. I wasn't sure what to expect but this sandwich really delivered.

There was an abundance of  dressed lobster claw meat in here. It wasn't just superficially on the top of the roll either, but fully packed through and through!



I would actually get this again if I ever come back for lunch. OMG, it was that good. Plus these garlic herb fries had the perfect crisp exterior and seasoned so nicely.

Believe it or not, we did get work done prior to coming here as well as after our lunch. Done and done!

Here's this guy's travel vog in which he visits Pier South, has dinner at Sea 180 (he had the cheeseburger with bacon jam), etc. I included only so you could see the interior of the hotel as well as the hotel room and the great beach views:

One note - I assume this guy Wellington is NOT  from Southern California or totally doesn't know his geography because in the video he says that he "can't wait to wake up to see the sun RISE over the water".

Hello.  Not in SoCal.

Sunset YES but not the other way around!

Who else went to Sea 180?
Faye went here two years ago...Sea 180 Coastal Tavern - Yelp Event" May 27, 2014

Previous visits to Sea 180
"Desserts @ Sea 180" April 2015
"Appetizers and drinks @ Sea 180" May 2015

I'll have to try happy hour here with Bert one of these days especially now that summer vacation is so close I can almost taste it!

6 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

We've passed by here so many times; need to make it before a meal and not after. You have such great choices in your part of town!

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful pictures of the food! And the photo of the plants with the ocean background is so pretty.

$19 for a lobster roll is expensive but at least it comes with some nice sides. I wonder where they get their lobster from? Wicked Lobster ships theirs from Maine I think. I've wanted to try Bite of Boston for their lobster rolls but it looks like they've shut down.

caninecologne said...

HI Cathy, Happy hour has cheaper prices on their appetizers so I need to try that next time. You guys will love the beautiful views here. Across the street is a great Thai place (Aroma Thai), plus tacos (IB tacos) and the Coronado Brewing Company (where you can choose your own flight). It's great to live in the South Bay!

caninecologne said...

Thank you Faye. I liked the lighting that day. It was nice and even because it was overcast but still bright enough to take nice photos.

I didn't think to ask about the origin of their lobster. I do plan to go again so I'll find out unless you beat me to it first. I've had a more expensive lobster roll ($22) at Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay. This one here is a close second.

Lynn @ Oh-So Yummy said...

the view made me click on the post. i've been curious about this restaurant because it's a Cohn restaurant i haven't tried yet... going just for completeness' sake! is that silly? and now i'm super curious about this lobster roll. dennis's current fav is at pete's seafood (post in the works). LOL on the sunrise comment. =P

caninecologne said...

Hi Lynn,
You and Dennis should come here to make your list "complete". It's very beautiful and you can't beat the views. The lobster roll was pretty good but perhaps the meat would have been better if simply buttered (like the kind I had at Wicked Maine Lobster in Liberty Public Market or Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay). You know, to let the flavor of the lobster meat shine through. Give it a try here. :)

I don't think it's silly to go for completeness sake. I did that with all of the Thai places down south as well as VN. I've been making my way through all of SD's third wave coffee places as well.