"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Halo Halo revisits

Out in East CV is this shopping center, once anchored by a now defunct Vons...

We wanted to go back to the new Filipino dessert place, Halo Halo...

where we took Bert's bro's family out for a post-Confirmation dessert...

I was excited to see both flavors of karioka there that afternoon (banana with jackfruit and coconut) along with the banana/jackfruit turon. Just look at those crisp edges, eh.

Menus featuring desserts and savory entree items:


There are pre-filled cups with cubed gelatin, fruits, and such. All you do is pick your flavor of ice cream (and there are some very good choices here) and a scoop of crushed ice.



So colorful, isn't it?

Between all of us, four halo-halo cups were ordered. TC and her older cousin shared a "Candy con Hielo" cup (there were assorted and by mean assorted, I mean RANDOM AS HELL candies in there); my bro in law got a normal one, his wife got a Maiz con Hielo and their son got one with Fruity Pebbles in it. Now that's a new one I hadn't een before.  The purple ice cream was ube, the white was coconut while the violently multihued blue/purple/pink scoops were cotton candy flavor.

My SIL's choice, Maiz con Hielo (corn) with a side of mango ice cream.  The bottom layer is red beans and the other stuff is most likely diced agar-agar (seaweed based gelatin).

Bert's other brother's halo halo, a fairly normal one with the standard filling (red beans, gelatin, jackfruit strips, palm nuts).

Tie girls mixing their candy concoction. The bottom had marshmallow fluff which was hard to stir since the ice made it solidify.

TC's cousin said it looked like the candy monster poo'd in there. There were M and M candies (fairly normal), then it got wierd with the addition of pillow mints and candy corn. WTH.

The girls may be sugar fiends but even they were put off by the combination of candies in this cup since many of them didn't taste good together. They still ate everything else except for the candies.

The turon duo which was so good with the crisp flaky wrappers.

Karioka innards:

I liked the hard outer shell, caramelized with brown sugar after being fried.

A few days later, I went back with La Ley and Mr. TJ to try their lunch menu. This was Mr. TJ's chicken adobo plate with garlic fried rice.  The rice looked like the Com Tam (broken rice) you see at Vietnamese restaurants. The rice had a yellow tinge to it and a faint garlic aroma.  First of all, I guess I am biased whenever I see adobo because I like my version the best (sorry, I'm not humble there but...).

Everyone makes it differently and I get that but this adobo had no bones and was soupy.  The meat was dark meat and maybe breast. He let me have a taste and I found it "okay" and very..."safe"?  As in no bay leaf, no overly strong garlic taste, no bits of garlic cloves and black peppercorns.  He liked it but it's not something I would consider to even be close to the adobo I make.

This was La Ley's Bistek plate, also with the same type of rice.  The first few bites she said were very flavorful (garlic, soy sauce and lemon) but ended up being overly salty to her.  I tasted it and had to agree with her.

I got the TLT plate (Tocino/Longganisa/Tapa) with garlic fried rice and a fried egg (which I forgot to ask for fried over hard).

I hadn't eaten something like this in quite awhile.  The meats were on the sweet side. I liked the tocino more (my parents used to cure their own - pork belly with salt and sugar, back in the 70's). I didn't expect the tapa to be so soft since I grew up eating it a near-beef jerky like version. The sausage was on the tamer side. I was expecting the redder and sweeter sausage. Overall, it was okay but a bit too greasy. I did enjoy this but I barely put a dent in it; it was so much food).


Previous visit to Halo Halo:
April 2016

We'll have to come back to try their sisig, pancit luglug and sinigang...

No comments: