"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, May 16, 2016

Civil Coffee

Located in the same neighborhood of Highland Park was a fairly new coffee place..

From what I've read, the neighborhood is in the process of gentrification.

But rather than get into a political debate of its merits or downfalls, I'll just focus on the coffee...

This was the drink I was curious about, despite my slight dislike of cinnamon. I figured if I didn't like it, Bert could have it.

Let me just say that the interior of Civil Coffee is much like other hipster coffee bar - wood and granite with pendant lamps plus soaring ceilings, and in this case, a spectacularly tiled floor (we would see this pattern in the coffee places we saw in Petaluma and Santa Rosa for our spring break trip)...


The mirrored bar was pretty cool as well...

The Figueroa, which was pretty milky and had a ton of cinnamon on top. The Maria cookie was a nice touch (you can buy a whole roll of those cookies at any Mexican store for .50).


This was quite the sweet drink and while it was okay for the first few sips, it was too milky for my liking. I could always get another coffee later that day.

Bert's tried something different as well. Here are his Tandem Espresso Shots, the Kenyan and Brazilian.


Of the two, he liked the Brazilian better which had more chocolate undertones; the Kenyan was a bit more fruity).

TC's iced chai latte. She liked that it wasn't "spicy" like some places make it.


She had to take a to-go cup since it was a pretty large sized drink. Next on the agenda was a stop at a famous house in Pasadena, known for its role in a popular movie (hint)...

Articles:
"Civil Coffee finds a home in Highland Park LATimes.Com, April 23, 2015
" Buildouts of Summer - Civil Coffee in Los Angeles" Sprudge.com, July 8, 2015
"Overcaffeinated - Can Figueroa Street handle this much coffee?" LA Mag, Sept 3, 2015
"Civil Coffee now brinGing thE caffeine in Highland Park" LA Mag, November 26, 2015

+ articles from LA Mag

Civil Coffee
5629 N. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90042

www.civil-coffee.com + fb page + reviews from you know where

Up next...Pasadena!

No comments: