"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Our anti-Black Friday - Return to Nate's Garden Grill

Shopping on Black Friday has never really been our thing. Instead of heading off to the mall with the rest of the angry hordes, we put up our Christmas tree and once it was up, headed off to lunch...

over in City Heights, right off Home Ave from the 805...

As you can see, not a cloud in the sky...

Black Friday was the perfect day to have some lunch and relax instead of being mowed over mercilessly in a sterile department store by rabid salesgoers. Cripes, I remember working retail back in college and it was truly a madhouse with people practically salivatin at the doors even before they opened. Well, none of that nonsense here....

Their menu includes a few more items such as the BLT, the grilled chicken breast and the veggie burger, which differed from the rather sparse listing from my first visit.

Bert sampled a few beers before deciding on the Council Clodhopper ESB (an English style brew) which was a bit of a nutty, malty, and slightly bitter beer. Council is a local brewery located in Kearny Mesa (near Convoy and Clairemont Mesa Blvd).  Served in an oh-so-hipster jar...

Bert's Mexican Bandito shirt from the awesome Velveteria Museum of Black Velvet Paintings in LA (the V's are formed by nekkid lady silhouettes)...

Oh yeah, let's not forget the chicken chili with mini corn muffins.

Each of our entrees came with our choice of side and mini pickles which TC loved.  TC had the Nate's burger with potato salad while I had the grilled cheese sandwich (with added caramelized onions and grilled mushrooms) with green salad. Bert had the pulled pork with kale slaw on a pretzel bun with chips.






Everything was so delicious and great quality here.  Bert was quite pleased with his pulled pork sandwich.  My cheese sandwich was made even better with the onions and 'shrooms. I liked it so much that I actually polished it off. TC's burger patty was so juicy and flavorful too. I almost wanted to trade with her but I happily stuck with my grilled cheese....

Previous visit to Nate's Garden Grill:
September 2014 celebrating D and TORC's birthdays with the Educator GF's

Since we were at Nate's, we also had to visit the adjacent City Farms Nursery before heading out for dessert...

3 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey CC - Hopefully you got to check out the "wildlife" in the nusery!

Mary said...

Mmm, that grilled cheese with onions and mushrooms sounds awesome! I haven't been here since they remodeled it. Basically forever ago. No excuse, either. It's so close to Jake's house.

caninecologne said...

Hi Kirk - the quails weren't there that day (nor that cute little friendly dog), but I did spy a cat roaming around, plus the rabbits, pony turtles, and goats.

mary - those add ons were worth it! i'm sure you would like their new menu additions. :)