"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Return to Grant's Marketplace

Last weekend, we headed over to South Park to take our family Christmas photo in the parking lot of abandoned laundromat on 30th and Redwood.  Why there? They have awesome street art murals and I wanted something entirely different from last year as well...

We did "photo shoot" first, then it was off to breakfast in the same neighborhood...

It was still early in the morning so nice and quiet it was...

(window next door at Studio Maureen)

I remember  liking this place a lot when TC and I visited earlier this spring...

I noticed the storefront a few doors down is now Stehly Farm's Market, a small rganic produce market and juice bar. I will have to explore it next time (or not).  Looks like they opened this summer. I remember admiring the "letters" slot on their blue door.

TC and I both had breakfast sandwiches while Bert had the bagel with lox, cream cheese and what turned out to be a LOT of capers...




They also had hot sandwiches but Bert really wanted to try the lox...

Their coffee is from Cafe Virtuoso - I had the iced mocha, Bert an Americano with soy, and TC a rather splendidly topped off hot chocolate.


TC's BLT and my croissant sandwich with egg, cheese and ham (they ran out of sausage).


I was bummed that they ran out of sausage but the ham was a good substitute...

TC really liked her BLT with crisp bacon....

I thought all of the capers were overkill but Bert really enjoyed this. The smoked salmon was really tasty...


This was the perfect start of our day. I think this year, we went out more for breakfast than we ever have as a family.

Previous visit to Grant's Marketplace:
April 2014 during Spring Break with TC

We would later get something a little sweet before heading home. Our photos needed to be selected, uploaded and ordered that afternoon and would be ready the next day (courtesy of Costco)...

I was never into the "let's all wear white shirts and denim jeans" or some other horrid clothing ensemble and walk barefoot in the beach like a happy family.  We chose the mural with the Soner throwie (a graffiti form of lettering featuring an abbreviated form of the writer's tag, in this case, Soner) which also has a mural of Amy Winehouse.

You can see photos of that wall on this post I found online: sdstreetart. We chose the area to the right of Winehouse), which I just realized is covered by a car in that post. Anyways, it was quite colorful and made a cool backdrop. Looking back, I totally forgot about our group shot at Nitt Witt Ridge (honestly, that house was too ugly to put on a Christmas card) and our visit to the Bunny Museum in  Pasadena, haha.  A few years ago I forgot to include our Alien Autopsy photo from the Peculiarium in Portland.  Yeah, I'm sure our older relatives would have appreciated THAT one...

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you for the Christmas card, it was very cute! My cards are sitting on my desk... waiting to be signed... hmm. Peculiarium! I looked that place up for our trip research. I totally want to go there.

caninecologne said...

You're welcome! Glad you like it! :)

OMG, you would LOVE the Peculiarium! It is just down the street from St. Honore Boulangerie (they have REAL choquettes there)...