"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Chocolate Kouign Amann from b patisserie

Earlier this week, Bert saw in facebook that one of our friends was in San Francisco with his kids. There was a recent post featuring a photo of his kids with "mock scowls" and the caption, "Before the coffee and pastries at b. patisserie"....Then an "after" photo of them smiling...

All I heard was "b patisserie"!   I actually texted him right away and said, "OMG, you're there? You have try their kouign amann!"

He then texted back a photo of his hand holding on with the caption, "Like this?"!!!!

I was so envious. That ohoto was basically taunting, yes, TAUNTING me and I demanded that he "teleport" a kouign amann to me right then and there, haha!

I forgot about it for the next few hours when he texted me back and said he would be bringing some back down for ME!

Wut?

Their impromptu weekend trip to SF was nearing it's end and he and the kids made one last run to b patisserie. I have to thank his younger daughter for their foray to the bakery because she was the one whom he recruited to research bakeries in the area.

Monday afternoon, he came over after work so he could give me these beauties, a trio of chocolate filled kouign amann..

I didn't care if they were a day old! OMG, they were still crisp and flaky and amazing!


These were quite excellent. They put those frozen ones from Trader Joe's to shame. There's really no comparison.

The chocolate filling had solidified and was so thick and rich.. Each layer was just as buttery and flaky as the next. The caramelized top of the pastry shattered in a pleasant way when bit into...


I was so sugared out since TC and I visited 85C and the new Up2You Cafe earlier that day. Even so, I couldn't resist eating half of one...

Bert and TC enjoyed theirs the next day. I was just so happy that my friend (whom we've known since high school) was kind enough to bring some down for us. My friend's gift really made my day and I was so excited just thinking about tasting one! Gosh, is that geeky or what! But it was true, haha!

Here is a short but inspirational video featuring Belinda Leong, the co-owner of b patisserie (there's some great footage of her pastries including the kouign amann):


b patisserie
2821 California St.
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 440-1700

bpatisserie.com

Who else went to b patisserie?
Kirbie first posted on their heavenly kouign amann last year...(her post features many more pastries including the lovely chocolate kouign amann)...
and more recently, cathy, the food gastronomer who visited just last month.

I wish there were some bakeries that made this in San Diego. Although we haven't been to b patisserie  just yet, we will definitely make sure to stop by for a future road trip!

6 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
caninecologne said...

Oh no WC! I deleted your comment by mistake! Yikes. :( Thanks for your recommendations.

I would love to try the croissants at b patisserie next time. I heard about the pumpkin (their seasonal flavor) but you know how much I *love* pumpkin, haha

During our last trip to SF, we only stayed in the Sunset District and kept it very very local. We will definitely make b patisserie a stop for a future road trip.

Kirbie said...

I'm so excited for you that you got to try these! the last time I was in SF and had them (nearly a year ago!), I thought of you and wanted to bring you some, but I wouldn't be back in SD for several more days and I didn't think they would last well. Now I really want to go back...

caninecologne said...

Awww.....how nice! Well it is the thought that counts. At least you had your chocolate kouign amnn was very fres since the filling was like lava. Mmmmm...

Mary said...

Someday I'm gonna eat one of those. I haven't tried one yet!

caninecologne said...

IF you do a SF road trip, you can! But the pale substitute would be the ones in the frozen section at Trader Joe's.