"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Return to Lezzet

I almost missed this one last "date night" from a few months ago...

This is near National City Blvd and 8th...If you make a right at the condo high rises you will hit Big Ben Specialty Market and to the left on "A" Avenue is Neiderfranks...

That particular evening, we took Main which is parallel to the 5...


We liked our visit to Lezzet so much the first time that we wanted to come back...

Don't be deterred by the nasty place next door...

You can't miss this place.   Sale on green paint, I'm sure.

The nice guy who helped us last time was here again; his name is Vasal (akin to "Walter"), who is Russian but raised in Turkey. We decided to eat in the back patio, which has been refurbished since our last visit. They covered the green walls( yes, same color as the front) with wood panels and it seems like there is more booth seating. Little did we know that they didn't really have any outside lighting, so taking photos of our dinner when it was darker was kinda crappy.

The view from our table. You can see the restaurant through the door...

I wonder if they ever get crowded? This was a Friday night. Maybe after the peep shows?

I had one of these ready to be used. They also changed up their menu.






As excellent as this bread was, we didn't want to fill up because we already knew what we wanted to try. Each of the dips were delicious - one that had avocado but was NOT guacamole, a yogurt dip and a spicy red one. Sorry, I don't know the official Turkish names but whatever they were, we loved it.


Bert's Victoria beer from Mexico. It was pretty light and went well with the food. They didn't have any Turkish beers unfortunately.

Our order of Gozleme with potato filling. They also had cheese, spinach and beef. We originally wanted one but opted for three so we could bring one home to TC. The waiter also said he could mix and match the flavors for us but we didn't want them to go through all that trouble since they normally don't do that. We stuck with potato and man were these good, especially with the sour cream.  They had a nice and crisp exterior. My mouth is watering just looking at these photos again....


Our full order (we knew we would have leftovers): the gozleme, pelmeni (beef dumplings) and a chicken kabob combo.

The chicken was so juicy and that rice...see the carrots? The rice was just flavored with carrots. It was so intense. I asked the waiter what spices they used and he said it was just carrots. Amazing.

We had this before and we would gladly have it again and again. Behold, the beef pelmeni, topped with a spicy red pepper powder and red pepper sauce, served with a side of sour cream.

We weren't planning on having dessert but our waiter convinced us to try some of their baklava which he said was made with "Indian red nuts" which were new. He said they were experimenting with the nuts and decided to try this type. I'm not sure if they were walnuts or some other kind, but it was really quite a different taste. Bert liked the pistachios on top while I enjoyed the flaky pastry and the sweet filling.

Passing under the bridge near the 32nd St. Naval Base on our way back to Harbor Drive...

I'm glad we gave Lezzet another chance. I still have an online coupon to use for another future visit. The food here is hearty and the service is very attentive.

Previous visit to Lezzet:
January 2014

As we were walking out, the kitchen staff was taking a break as it wasn't very busy that particular night, and we thanked the cooks, who were these elderly ladies with cloth headcoverings. They looked like they were from "the old country". They seemed happy when we told them we enjoyed their food.  I can't wait to come here again!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh a coupon place! I'm not familiar with this kind of food but it looks/sounds yummy. That one kind of looks like a crepe filed with potatoes.

caninecologne said...

Give it a try! This place has a great mix of Russian and Turkish food.